Teens Being Tried As Adults | Teen Ink

Teens Being Tried As Adults

November 16, 2015
By paulponcho BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
paulponcho BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Teens should be tried as an adult under certain circumstances. Today, teenagers think they can do whatever they want. If a person commits an adult crime, they should be tried as an adult. Of course with this, a court can only go so far as to trying a person at a lower than “teen” age. Yes, anyone younger than a “teen” age shouldn’t go to adult prison, but they still shouldn’t get off so easy if it is on purpose.


Crimes such as misdemeanors and felonies, in which involves heavy sentencing for an adult, should also give the same indictment for a younger individual. For example, there was a young man by the name of Shawn. His last name was not released because he was a minor. He brutally stabbed his father, repeatedly, but did not kill him. He was brought to juvenile court, and pled guilty of attempted murder. Why on earth would a person over the age of fourteen be brought to juvenile court for attempted murder?


Attempted murder is not a petty crime, such as petty theft, shoplifting, etc. It is attempted murder. When a human tries to kill another human, or actually kills the person, it should not be taken lightly. I understand people might say that he’s not an adult, but consider the circumstance. If a person of any age tries to kill another, then they should all be treated the same.


The world has to open its eyes and understand that taking a person’s life is not a light crime, no matter what age. They know what they are doing, and should be treated exactly the same as anyone else. A psychopathic murderer should not be taken to juvenile court.

 

Source: "Four Kids, Four Crimes." PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 13 Nov. 2015.