Red, White, and Blue | Teen Ink

Red, White, and Blue

November 5, 2015
By DKahle1 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
DKahle1 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As men and women of all races march down Constitution Avenue, the flag of their country proudly soars above them. I cannot help but to think how lucky I am to be born in this great land. America is about more than just the three unalienable rights it was founded upon: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. America is about change. And to me, the United States flag represents that change.


The march on Washington D.C. is the event I think of when the civil rights movement is . When I traveled to our capitol city, I stood on the steps of the Lincoln Monument. I placed my feet in the exact place that Martin Luther King Jr. stood. I looked down the National Mall. I saw what he saw on August 28th, 1963--I watched the thousands of flags billowing. I stood in amazement at the the quarter of a million people that traveled for days to make history. I heard the iconic voice speaking of its dream that would come true a year later.


December 7th, 1941. The day which will live in infamy. I recently listened to President Roosevelt's radio address to the American people. The speech is so moving and perfectly delivered that it almost brought tears to my eyes. The impact of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor is one that will never be reversed. America was as strong as ever at this time, and has only gotten stronger. Progress and changed followed the attack. America shifted towards the war effort in order to accommodate the needs of the military. And it did. All over the country, the men went to fight, and women went to work. It was a great time for America. Without it we would not be the country we are today.


The American Flag is a symbol of progress, unity, and strength. Without it, we would not be the country we are today. The American Flag is the most recognizable symbol in the world for a reason: America is the greatest country in the world.