Open Carry (Editorial) | Teen Ink

Open Carry (Editorial)

By Keshaun Bailey BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Keshaun Bailey BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

You’re leaving the movies with a friend, and suddenly a strange man comes up to you and pushes your friend down. He tells you to hand over all of your money and valuables, you refuse and the robber pulls out a small knife threatening your life. What are you going to do? He’s bigger than you, stronger than you, and you could probably outrun him, but your friend is laying on the ground in pain. If you are over the age of 18, you are legally able to openly carry a firearm in public places. This means you have a great chance at protecting yourself and your friend, by the means of self defense. Wisconsin has recently passed the Open Carry Gun Law, legalizing all adults, ages 18 and up, to openly carry a firearm in public and while in vehicles? although it has caused a lot of controversy in our community.  I, myself, am a victim of gun violence in my own hometown. Less than a year ago, I was shot while trying to protect myself from a dangerous situation. I am now a very strong advocate for the protection of all citizens, and people having the ability to defend themselves while in unfortunate, dangerous predicaments. Some of you may not feel the same way I do about the law, but it is very important for you all to know that anything can happen. Unfortunate things occur, that we do not plan for, and we must be able to deal with it accordingly.
Even Though I feel a strong way about the policy, I’ve done my proper research on the overall law. Today I would love to inform you all on what I’ve learned about the Open Carry Gun Law of Wisconsin, the guidelines concerning the policy, and the controversy that it’s surrounded by. I am going to begin with the basics of the Open Carry Gun Law, in order for us all to get a clear understanding of the policy. Many are not too familiar with the Open Carry Law, and may mistake it for the Concealed Carry Law. Wisconsin is an open carry state, meaning citizens can carry firearms in open view while in public and while in vehicles.  In Contrast, concealed carry requires a permit, a class that needs to be taken, a fee, and has certain restrictions. Many think of Open Carry to be more dangerous.  Concealed Carry and Open Carry laws do differ, but are often confused for one another.  According to The Wall Street Journal, Laura Cutilletta, a senior staff attorney at the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence reported, “Concealed carry — you don’t know who’s doing it and it doesn’t cause as much concern as open carry. One is a danger you know, and one is a danger you don’t know.  There are a couple guidelines that must be followed under the Open Carry Gun Law, which is what I will now talk about. You need to be legally allowed to possess firearms, with no prior convictions under state and federal laws. You cannot drink and carry, because being intoxicated impairs your ability to claim self defense. Your gun must be visible, which means seen by the public and worn on your hip in a holster. While driving you must onload your gun, and place the clip of the gun in a gun safe or the glove department of the car, locked. You cannot openly carry your firearm in or on the property of the school, also within 1,000 feet of a school. If you are to go armed in any building that happens to be owned or leased by a political subdivision of the state, or federal property, you are guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

While crossing state lines, you have to be aware of the difference in laws per state. The Open Carry Gun Law of course was generated, to ensure citizens of their safety if put in harm’s way.  While having your firearm in possession, you are allowed to use it if you feel that your life is threatened. The most common reason for people to have the desire to own a gun, is for personal protection.  The defendant must be engaged in forms of violent, abusive, indecent, profane, or any similar disorderly conduct. In court, it must also be proven that the defendant’s conduct occurred to cause or provoke a disturbance. c. In the case of the scenario that I mentioned previously, it would be completely lawful to take action in the form of self defense.  Defending yourself in a correct way, is very important while openly carrying your firearm? which is a reason why there is so much controversy. Eugene Volokh, a Professor of Law at UCLA, stated in a law review in 2009, that “People notoriously disagree about whether gun control laws will indeed reduce total injury and crime, especially since such evaluations require one to predict both the possible decrease in injury and crime stemming from the controls, and the possible increase in injury and crime stemming from the interference with lawful self-defense.  In the case of an emergency, the Open Carry Law comes in handy? which is the major upside to the policy. a. Rani Molla, a journalist of The Wall Street Journal, stated “Gun¬rights advocates see the practice as a way to normalize gun ownership and deter crime, while gun¬ control activists believe carrying guns in stores and restaurants is disruptive to the public and encourages violence.”  You are able to protect yourself and not receive unfair consequences.  With little experience with firearms, and the visibility of guns in public, people are oppose to the Open Carry Law. Inexperienced people may have access to firearms, without having experience it may be harmful to others.

Misfires are uncommon, especially those that lead to harm, but can occur due to carelessly handling a firearm.  Many people are not comfortable with guns being exposed while in public, due to societal norms.  If you’re out grocery shopping with your mom, and the guy next to you has a Smith & Wesson 40 caliber hanging from his hip would you be a tad bit uncomfortable?  In closing, I hope you have learned more about The Open Carry Gun Law. A very highly discussed topic in our community.

Being able to protect yourself if a dangerous situation occurs is important, and I’m sure was the main focus when passing this policy into law. The guidelines must be followed, and the difference between open and concealed carry need to be clear to citizens, to avoid being charged. After learning about the Open Carry Gun Law, you may or may have not chosen a side on how you feel about it’s purpose? this is not an issue as long as you are all now informed. One thing that I would like for you to take from this editorial today, is that unfortunate things occur, that we do not plan for, and we must be able to deal with it accordingly.

Works Cited Page: German, Gene. "If You Open Carry ¬ Wisconsin Laws You Must Know."Examiner.com. Examiner, 23 Mar. 2009. Web. 12 Jan. 2015. Molla, Rani. "Map: Where Is ‘Open Carry’ Legal?" The Numbers RSS. The Wall Street Journal, 22 Aug. 2014. Web. 12 Jan. 2015. Pratt, Larry. "Open Carry Deters Crime." US News. U.S.News & World Report, 25 Apr. 2012. Web. 12 Jan. 2015. Volokh, Eugene. "Implementing the Right to Keep and Bear Arms for Self¬Defense