Capital Punishment | Teen Ink

Capital Punishment

April 24, 2015
By Anonymous

Capital Punishment


Capital punishment is an extremely controversial topic in the United States and has been since the end of the 18th century. As a just society, we should not allow brutal killers to stay on this Earth, waiting for a potential parole, or the chance to strike and kill others in their prison. While some states let these vicious murderers sit in a cell and bide their time, others are taking action by putting the death penalty in effect, which in a large majority of states, actually helps deter crime. The death penalty also provides retribution and satisfaction to law abiding citizens who have peace of mind knowing the elusive killer that once terrorized their streets will never do any harm to anyone ever again, but only if they are put to death.
Even though it may be a morbid topic, the death penalty is actually a good thing. Studies conducted from 1974 to 2002 show that the year a state legalizes the death penalty the homicide rate declines, sometimes drastically, within a few short years. Oklahoma, Florida, and Texas saw their homicide rates cut almost in half 12 years after legalizing the death penalty, Minnesota and Virginia also saw a decline (Park 36). It looks as if the people are in favor of the statistics too! A poll conducted in 2007 shows that 69% of the population approved the use of the death penalty (Parks 24). Even some criminals agree that having no death penalty is a bad decision. In 1972, John Wojtowicz and 2 other accomplices held 8 employees hostage for 14 hours in an attempt to rob Chase Manhattan Bank in New York City. “In threatening the hostages, Wojtowicz said: ‘I’ll shoot everyone in the bank. The Supreme Court will let me get away with this. There’s no death penalty. It’s ridiculous.” (Park 7). It is also believed that every time capital punishment is put into effect it prevents anywhere in the range of 5 to 18 murders.
Not only does the death penalty do an excellent job of deterring crime, but sadly when murders do occur, capital punishment provides vindication and retribution to the victims’ families and we can see anger justified and satisfied in society as a whole when the wicked are properly punished for their evil doings. Some who were not in favor of the death penalty turn from their former beliefs in the face of sorrow. “I looked at the young man sitting at the defense table, I didn’t see a victim. All I saw was the man who took my family members life...my head still says that capital punishment should be abolished, but my head reminds me of the pain of losing my cousin.” – Olga Polites. Others who believe in the death penalty have their views concreted when faced with losing a friend or loved one.
One argument one might make is that the death penalty is immoral and denies the murderers right to life. Wrong, once a killer has denied another’s right to life what makes him/her an acceptation? Another argument made is that capital punishment is inhumane and makes the killer suffer a slow death. This is also false, numerous witnesses of executions state that the offender died much more peaceful than their victim, who was brutally slaughtered at the hands of a vicious murderer.
Even though a convict can be locked up, there’s not much stopping him/her from killing again in prison, or even on parole. A prime example of this behavior is Jack Henry Abott. While in prison for manslaughter, forgery, and bank robbery Abbott wrote many letters about his life in prison and sent them to American author Norman Mailer in an attempt to gain his parole. After having his letters published in a book Abott claimed he was a “changed man” and was finally granted parole. After leaving prison Abott was a literacy celebrity and was invited to many exclusive parties. However, only six weeks after leaving prison Abbott fatally stabbed a man outside of a New York City restaurant over the location of a bathroom and was immediately sent back to prison. Many years later Jack Henry Abbott committed suicide on February 10, 2002 (Fridell 92). However this is not the only example of killers killing again. Throughout the years, many killers who should have been executed have gone on to kill jail guards or other inmates. In a sudden fit of anger, one inmate killed a jail guard with a sharp object from a tool shed claiming he had “just snapped”.
There are many reasons as to why capital punishment is beneficial to society and many examples to back these claims up. No matter what point in history you look at, there will always be criminals deserving of capital punishment. The death penalty deters crime, provides retribution and vindication to society and the victims’ families, and prevents killers from killing again.


The author's comments:

This paper is an editorial focused on the eithics of capital punishment. I personally believe that the death penalty is beneficial to society