A Modest Proposal to Fix the Abominable Temporary Road Construction That W | Teen Ink

A Modest Proposal to Fix the Abominable Temporary Road Construction That W

By Haley Finerman BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Haley Finerman BRONZE, Sacramento, California

In today’s day and age, Americans are highly blessed with the ability to have everything at their fingertips; this has created citizens who can rely on transportation to reach their very important commitments. The work meeting with a boss, graduate school class, gymnastics practice, interning at the local clinic, and coffee dates cannot wait on the delays the safety dividers and bright orange cones bring. Currently, Caltrans provides more than twenty-four “expect delays” news segments pertaining to the Sacramento area. The fourth major cause of death on the road is automobile accidents caused by defective roads: potholes, curves, “dips in the road,” “inadequate skid resistance,” and “hazards” (Tambornini par. 2). There is no doubt that the dangerous and defective roads have caused innumerable deaths and injuries. But that fact is not as influential as the several minutes the road construction, attempting to lessen these deaths, causes. This is not just a matter of running a few minutes late for your dashing date due to traffic delays, but it is also a matter of people’s safety and well-being.

Something must be done about this growing issue, and the people who pay an enormous amount of their hard-earned money towards road repairs, must have revenge. These unnecessary projects merely “impact,” “improve,” and “upgrade” the roads in our area, but I believe we may not even need a Caltrans to rely on anymore (“Caltrans District 3 News”). Because of this absurdity, I propose a simply modest proposal that will enhance the way the kings and queens of Sacramento will live. I propose the citizens of Sacramento take a stand against this monstrosity and do away with their cars completely.

At first this may sound like a daunting experiment, but this will ultimately solve uncountable epidemics. But most importantly, there will be no need to worry about unexpected delays. If one may travel twenty miles to work on a daily basis, it would be quite manageable to spend the tax money that was once used for road work on buying a bright, new, ultra-deluxe, state-of-the-art, Bicycle 3000. Now those potholes will turn into your very own roller coaster every day of the week. No need to worry about timing because everyone will rely on themselves to get to and fro. This will teach children a lesson of self-reliance because they will never be able to blame their tardiness on a bicycle traffic jam. Going on a trip far away? Make it a journey to get to your destination by allowing extra days for travel time. And naturally, planes and trains and cranes would still be active to transport you (or your babies).

Not only would the elimination of cars prevent the traffic delays in road construction, it would also cure obesity (which is growing at a rate too fast). In the wise words of the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, “more than one-third (76.8 million) of U.S. adults are obese” (Overweight and Obesity par. 1). Can you imagine how many calories one would burn if they simply rode a bike instead of relying lazily on a car? American is always working to lower the percentage of obesity, but this would be the sure-fire way to almost instantly take care of this issue. As told by an actual biker, this could help obese men lose weight and get the girl because “all girls like guys who are tough” (Miller par. 2). Nothing says tougher than a grown man in a helmet taking care of and relying on himself, while taking care of his environment. That brings me to my next point, eliminating the use of cars will significantly lessen the output of harmful gases into our environment, and that benefit goes without explanation.

I recognize that some people may think of this idea and be infuriated, but I turn to those people and ask them: Well… which infuriates you more? The idea of being stuck in traffic, spilling your coffee every time you run over a pothole, and missing your exit because of that horrific, good for nothing safety divider… Or simply biking your way through the breeze that whispers across your face and into your ear “you are freeeeeee” (Whirl).

Works Cited
“Caltrans District 3 News.” dot.ca.gov. n.d. Web. 9 February 2015.
Miller, Marissa. “Motorcycle Quotes.” brainyquote.com. n.d. Web. 9 February 2015.
“Overweight and Obesity.” cdc.gov/obesity. 9 September 2014. Web. 8 February 2015.
Tambornini, Kyle. “Car Accidents…” capacitylaw.com. 12 May 2014. Web. 8 February 2015.
Whirl, Wind. Personal Interview. 9 February 2015.

I wrote this for the purpose of criticizing those who are vocal about the hassle that temporary road construction brings. But I believe the reason for the construction is to solely benefit the public and keep the roads safe, clear, and efficient.