Feminism | Teen Ink

Feminism

By The_Book_Thief GOLD, Brownville, Nebraska
The_Book_Thief GOLD, Brownville, Nebraska

"And when you gaze long enough into the abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Feminism is a real issue in today's American society. Females don't have it as bad as blacks did, but we do have our social problems. Young girls worrying about what they eat, how they look, and what other people think of them. Older teens and up worry about getting raped. This problem needs to be adressed.

First, we need to establish what feminism really is. It can be viewed as a bunch of crazy girls that want women to take over the world and enslave all men; however, while there might be some women who take such an extreme view on the situation, this is not the norm. A feminist is a person that believes in equal rights for women. We are not against men, nor do we think girls are better than guys. We call ourselves feminists because the guys don't need people to stand up for their rights. It's as simple as that. We just want women to be treated as equals. Obviously there are going to be a lot more women feminists than men. Still, there are male feminists, such as Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberpatch.

Second, you are either feminist or sexist. There is no middle ground where you both do and don't think women are equal to men. You can't be nuetral on this field unless you have never given it a thought, or you have never heard of the issue.

Now I will get to some of the reasons people are feminists.

Women these days are often judged by their bodies. This isn't something only guys do. Bigger girls are teased and hurt relentlessly, and they learn to hate their bodies. In an extreme case, this can lead to suicide. (If you are teased for being bigger, smaller, smarter, less smart, opinionated, or anything, just remember that the only person on this earth that you need to impress is you. You are your own person. Don't let other people's views make you hate yourself.)

Another reason people become feminists is because of the rape situation. No one likes to talk about this or hear about it, so I'll try to be brief. When women are raped, too often the blame falls on them. Girls are told to dress modestly or we might be abused or targetted. Our clothes shouldn't mean we can be attacked like this! No one asks what the rapist was wearing. People toss the blame on the victims. This is wrong.

There are so many other good reasons for being a feminist, but these are my biggest. If you have different views on these topics, please say so, keeping it as polite as possible.