Learn Our Language | Teen Ink

Learn Our Language

By Dsmit BRONZE, Luna Pier, Michigan
Dsmit BRONZE, Luna Pier, Michigan

"God hath not given me a spirit of fear, but that of power, love, and of a sound mind."

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

galfam said...
galfam, Montgomeryville, Pennsylvania
I agree with Fiddlestixs, it is extremely ignorant to think that your race and yours only is important. Not everyone deserves to bow to one specific race, as this world is not a totalitarian one.

FIDDLESTIXS said...
FIDDLESTIXS, Chesterfield, New Jersey
Thats very iggnorant. You cant make people give up their native language. ITs their religion. It gos against the firstb amendment.

Jenky23 said...
"How bout you learns spanish?" Why does that make sense? The only way that could be a counter argument would be if he were to go to mexico! If you are in America, where mainstream society runs on the English language, then only knowing English is all you need to get by.

Dreamboat said...
Dreamboat, Madison, Wisconsin

My name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.

Oh alos wtt777 I do know what I am talking about. So please dont insult me.

Dreamboat said...
Dreamboat, Madison, Wisconsin

Yes I very much agree, I see nothing wrong with people learning english but you can not ask someone to give up their culture just to escape persicucion.

Genya GOLD said...
Genya GOLD, Bridgewater, New Jersey

"Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics."-Unknown Author

Americans should learn British or go home...

Except that, America has so many ethnicites, that really, the world is our home.

Sorry, but English is a bit of an irrational language, and very hard to learn. Some people don't have the time or money to learn it, nor is returning back to their home country (because of war or genocide) an option.

Maybe you should consider that before assuming every Spanish or alternative language speaker is just coming here to make things more "inconvinent" for us. I mean, other countries have English as their official language (see Canada), or at least have people who speak it, and they don't complain!

Appleshrrom said...
Wow this smacks of racism. Unintentional racism, I'm sure, but racism none the less. Learn English or go home? No. That is completely wrong. People come to the US because it's a beacon of opprotunity that their home country is not. English is one of the hardest languages to learn, and I do think people who come here have a basic knowledge of Engligh (enough to get around and drive and such but may not be able to hold a conversation in English. This is a really ignorant sentiment and I wish it would be booted off this site. How about you learn some Spanish? Very few Americans know another language besides English, unlike Europeans that usually know at least two languages. Saying, "You will learn MY language because I can't be bothered to learn YOURS." is disgusting.

ShontelleSymone GOLD, New Castle, Pennsylvania

"Are you chasing your dreams? Or are your dreams chasing you?" - Michelle Phan

And did you think I just ment the Cherokee? NO. I used Cherokee as an examply because I am part Cherokee.

Actually, You are wrong. The Cherokee people DO still have a languag that we still speak. We are one of the few tribes left that still have a thriving language. Sorry for the late comment, I've been really busy recently.

human6 GOLD said...
human6 GOLD, Fasd, New Jersey

If you cannot convince a fascist aquaint his head with the pavement-trotsky
The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world, here, in our hearts. That world is growing this minute.“ durry

no group has the right to force its launguage on anyone, not speaking english doesn't hurt anyone, so i can't stop it, "your right to swing your fist stops at the tip of my nose."

HeartBreaker2010 SILVER, El Paso, Texas
come on im part mexican and german and i understand both its not racist, it's common since, if you don't understand then go back to school. sorry but its true:)

HeartBreaker2010 SILVER, El Paso, Texas

HeartBreaker2010 SILVER, El Paso, Texas
if you move to a new country with a different language, you have to learn it, you mexican people don't want to learn English, then just leave and go back to where ever you came from because this is my U.S. so you better learn the English plz.

brittany4jp said...
If you're going to move to a country, learn the dominant  language. It is as simple as that, and it's not racist to say so, as it applies to anyone who moves here. It just seems to be more of an issue with Spanish speaking peoples because a good amount of them will not learn English, there aren't many Germans going around the U.S. with no understanding of English. I don't go to somewhere, like Italy, and say "I'm here, now you all get to learn my language, because that's just more convenient for me". It also costs more money to educate the majority of people on other languages, when the people who migrate here (a smaller population) can learn English instead. Plus, with English becoming the dominant world language, it just makes more sense economically to learn it. Remember people: think rationally about this issue. It is not racist to tell someone to learn a language. Urge non-English speakers to learn English for their own good, but don't be rude about it either. Sorry for the long post, just tired of this becoming an issue when it just shouldn't be.

Katie1234 GOLD said...
Katie1234 GOLD, Velva, North Dakota

"When life becomes more than you can stand; fall to your knees"
"To be normal is to be boring."
"You cannot make men good by law."
"Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God because He said so."
"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."

One thing: English isn't the offical language of the states.

I agree with you completely, but without English being our official language.... 

It stinks. We're now expected to learn spanish among othe languages to get jobs. A lot of schools require a year of foriegn language. Learning a language should be optional.

JojoMimi BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
yes. i think that people should learn english, but still keep their native language. learning new languages opens up so many door. plus, you can travel to many places too!

JojoMimi BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

totally true! english is hard to learn.

I have almost lost my native language. I can understand it but I cannot speak it as well as before. Whenever I try, english comes out instead. it is so embarrassing! 

JojoMimi BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

I do understand what you mean. If you are going to move to another country, you should learn the language of that country. That is true.

You have to look on both sides though. English is my second language and it can be a difficult language to learn. There are so many rules and some things just do not make sense. I now speak English fluently because I learned it at a young age. For older people learning a language is challenging. Even if they learn it, they can still be confused at times and would like to slip back into their natural tongue.

ambnyc SILVER said...
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

While I am not against the learning of other languages at all (I love language study!), and while English is not America's official language, I believe it should be America's official language.

And that if somebody wants to immigrate here, they should have to learn English. It's merely practical, because you're not going to get very far in this country without a good grasp on English anyways, which is what most of our people speak.

Then again, this is just my opinion.

(By the way, people, please don't pull the racism card.)

human6 GOLD said...
human6 GOLD, Fasd, New Jersey

what we are based on cultural freedom.