Emotional abuse | Teen Ink

Emotional abuse

By Kelsey Amos BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
Kelsey Amos BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

We all may accidentally hurt somebody’s feelings every now and then. Everybody makes mistakes sometimes, but some people intentionally use techniques like this to gain control over you and get what they want. Emotional abuse is one of the most common forms of abuse, but also the most overlooked, and in some cases, ignored. It may not leave a mark, but it is still as important as other forms of abuse. Victims sometimes are afraid to ask for help in fear of being labeled. Emotional abuse victims need more recognition.
Victims are often pushed into the shadows, whether it is intentionally or un-intentionally.

As the same with bullying, some people are afraid to speak up or step in. If someone is excessively sad, fearful or anxious, people tend to label them as weak, depressed or unstable rather than seeing something may be wrong. This doesn’t mean that everyone with these symptoms is being emotionally abused, but there are some obvious signs that some people don’t notice. Victims are often pushed into the background without help, and the uncured effects can be traumatizing.
There are many reasons emotional abuse is overlooked. One reason is because there are actually many forms of this abuse that some people may not know is really damaging. The biggest forms are usually insults, threats, overly-aggressive attempts to control, purposeful humiliation and isolating the victim from things and people they love. Psychologists say that abusers often act abusive because they were abused themselves at some point in their life, or they have an insecurity that they take out on their victim. Whatever the case is, any emotionally mature person knows that making someone feel bad about them just because you feel bad about yourself is not the way to express your emotions, nor is it morally right.
Some people may say that everyone only needs to defend themselves, or it’s none of their business. Believe it or not, some people actually think that victims deserve to be mistreated, simply because, “If they’re not strong enough to defend themselves, it’s not our problem.” People need to accept that fact that not everyone is going to be like them and that just because some people may be weaker than them, it’s not wrong.
We all need to step in and protect each other every now and then, and help those who need help receive help. If we all stopped being so concerned with, “Me, me, me!” we could actually help each other, and give people the support they need. Victims of abuse need support and attention more than anything else, and we might be able to recognize signs if we all pay attention.