Cyberbullying: why is it important to stop it? | Teen Ink

Cyberbullying: why is it important to stop it?

By ZoeBro17 PLATINUM, Carlsbad, California
ZoeBro17 PLATINUM, Carlsbad, California

Make the most of yourself, for thats all their is of you.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Throughout our school lives, we are continuously told to be nice to others and to stop bullying if we see it happen. However, not all bullying can be seen and sometimes we feel we are incapable of stopping it. Cyberbullying unfortunately continues to occur in ever-growing amounts. Today's society is heavily focused on the renowned smartphone. Smartphones make it so that the internet is accessible anywhere and nearly everywhere; this also means cyberbullying can happen more frequently. It is imperative to work to stop cyberbullying because it can now reach to so many people. In the case of Amanda Todd, cyberbullying took her life. Todd was 16, when she “flashed” an internet stranger on camera, and the whole situation went haywire. A picture was taken and circulated, even a Facebook page created with a picture of topless Amanda Todd as the profile. Todd had attempted suicide once and failed and when that circulated, she was bullied even more relentlessly. Six months later, Amanda Todd was found dead in the apartment she lived in, evidently a suicide. She was not only cyberbullied; she was stalked and physically assaulted at school. Cyberbullying does not just happen on a screen—it can reach out and spread into the non-virtual world. Not only does cyberbullying cause psychological damage to the victim, but it can cause physical damage as well. Amanda Todd was almost 16 years old when she died—she barely lived. Working to stop cyberbullying can save lives and really make a difference to people who feel cornered or trapped. The victims of cyberbullying cannot stand up for themselves, whether that is from fear or from a lack of hope. This is why it is important to work to stop cyberbullying; to give those victims hope and the ability to be who they are and own up for mistakes without fear of being tormented. While social media is a large part of the problem, I do not believe it is part of the solution. As cliché as this may seem, people need to talk to people, especially teenagers. They need to be taking charge and speaking out to kids their own age, so that they know why it is important to work to stop cyberbullying. Working to stop this epidemic can give people the chance to live a full and happy life—to live the life they deserve to have. We can let people know that someone out there does care and does worry for their well-being. One mistake should not define a person and should not consume them. Working to stop cyberbullying can remind a person that they mean something to someone, that they are worth something, that they can do and be anything, and that they are important too.