Don't Stand in the Way of Marriage Equality | Teen Ink

Don't Stand in the Way of Marriage Equality

March 25, 2014
By RileyReed SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
RileyReed SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
5 articles 1 photo 0 comments

“Gosh that’s so gay!” You might have heard that in a school setting before. It is typically used to refer to something that is dumb or stupid, but the actual dictionary definition is: Gay adjective : sexually attracted to someone who is the same sex. But why is it that people are against gay marriage or even their rights? What are the rights about gay marriage? But mostly what does the Bible have to say about gays? If gays are people the same as everyone else, what is it that makes them hated and different?
People in society are not used to anything different. Being homosexual is definitely a big difference. It’s a change to a way of living that people haven’t experienced and change can be hard, but this is one that is growing evermore by the day. It needs to not be seen as a disgrace but something of a change to our way of life. Only 17 states legalized gay marriage as of January 6th 2014, those include: CA, CT, DE, HI, IA, IL, MA, MD, ME, MN, NH, NJ, NM, NY, RI, VT, and WA. The rest of the states including Wisconsin, think that it is wrong.
According to gaymarriage.procon.org the opposing side of the debate states, Gay marriage may lead to more children being raised in same-sex households, which are not an optimum environment because children need both a mother and a father. What they are saying is that the home will not be as stable and children will get into social issues as well as sexual issues. According to the website, girls without fathers will be more likely to get into drugs and sex. Also, without mothers they will have struggles with depression. Boys will become more aggressive without a mother. Apparently people think homsexuals are bad parents. The pro side of this debate says, Legalizing gay marriage will not harm heterosexual marriages or "family values," and society will continue to function successfully. A study published on April 13th, 2009 in Social Science Quarterly found that laws permitting same-sex marriage or civil unions have no adverse effect on marriage, divorce, or the percent of children born out of wedlock. According to American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, children raised in homosexual households actually are well adjusted, emotionally and physically. They are also not as likely to be sexually abused, they do not show differences in whether they think of themselves as male or female, and don’t show differences in their male and female behaviors (gender role behavior).

As a Christian, I am taught that being homosexual is a choice and it is wrong. But I don’t believe that, it’s not a choice for who you love. It’s feelings that you can’t help. Suppressing them isn’t a good idea, that of all things can lead to depression. Many gay people, including someone I know personally, don’t share their feelings out of fear for being judged. Eventually my friend came out and though the reactions weren’t all positive, he still felt happier when he did. He now has a boyfriend and is very happy. But there are verses in the Bible that do not support this way of life, for example: Romans 1:27- “And the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.” The Apostle Paul wrote the book of Romans. In that book there are several verses against homosexuals. As an Apostle and follower of Jesus, Paul shouldn’t be against anyone. Who did Jesus say you can’t be like or hang out with? No one, that’s right no one because Jesus loves everyone. Jesus actually said, “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.” Matthew 7:1-2

A way to stop all this controversy, is to raise children to know that it is not wrong to be gay. Just to be homosexual is a different way of life. Teach them if they are Christians that Jesus judged no one in wrong ways, so they should do the same. If we had programs at school opening up the minds of small children and teaching them about what it truly means to be homesexual, it would educated kids to be tolerant of differences. If all schools did this the whole nation wouldn’t be so small minded. If people opened up their minds to know that there are differences in this world, then society would not be as ugly. Gays should be allowed marriage rights just as heterosexual couples are, so there can be equality for everyone in that way.

Homosexual people should be allowed to be married and have a normal life like other people in society. All this controversy is pointless! If people accepted differences this country would actually be equal.


The author's comments:
In this article I support a controversy that many people are against, but here is my reasoning behind it.