The Baby Killer: The Problem With Stem Cell Research | Teen Ink

The Baby Killer: The Problem With Stem Cell Research

February 28, 2014
By THEFluffyPigeon BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
THEFluffyPigeon BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Embryonic stem cell research is a major problem in today’s society. Taking stem cells from embryos is like murdering unborn babies. A stem cell is a cell that has the ability to transform into many different types of cells and tissues in the body. The embryos used for most research are in the blastocyst stage, which occurs about 5 days after the egg has been fertilized. The problem with harvesting these stem cells is that when they are harvested, it destroys the blastocyst. Therefore, harvesting stem cells from human embryos is murder.
First, harvesting and using these cells is unsafe. In an article published in the American Journal of Medical Science, 10 percent of egg donors can get Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome, a disease that affects blood flow to the ovaries and can cause deadly blood clots. In a 2002 study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, embryonic stem cells were implanted into the brain tissues of rats as a test for treating Parkinson's disease. More than 20 percent of the treated rats developed brain tumors. In a 1996 case study reported in the Journal Neurology, a Parkinson's patient was treated with stem cells. The cells developed into a brain tumor that resulted in the death of the patient. Similarly, in a 2003 study from the Annals of Neurology, scientists used stem cells to treat patients suffering from Parkinson's disease. Although no patients died, more than half of them developed disorders that caused irregular movement.
Secondly, since extracting stem cells from the embryo destroys the embryo, taking stem cells from embryos is unethical. Some are against stem cell research because it involves the elimination of the most basic form of human life. As a result, stem cell research has become part of the right to life debate. People who are for stem cell research argue that stem cell research is on the verge of a breakthrough, and that further funding will help scientists to perfect using stem cells. However, the scientific community is exaggerating stem cell research and the progress of stem cell research in order to keep funding. Existing research shows that there is no reason to believe that stem cells will ever develop into a miracle cure.
Next, the information doctors are giving patients about stem cell research may not be completely factual, and they may leave details out. Due to the glory and profit to be gained by being able to cure an incurable disease, researchers might be tempted to euthanize the negative effects. Also, scientists might exaggerate the good it will do. Just because a cell is of a certain type, it may not function properly in the body.
Lastly, many religions have spoken out against embryonic stem cell research calling it “murder” and “unethical”. The Catholic Church believes that embryonic stem cells should not be used, as it destroys the embryo and they consider it murder. Hinduism and Buddhism believe that you become a person at conception, and therefore consider it murder. Lutherans are against taking embryos for stem cell research. The Southern Baptist church is a firm believer against using embryos for stem cell research.
Overall, is it worth destroying a life, just to save one? Even if one day stem cells are deemed safe, will they ever truly be okay? People have the right to life, no matter how young. Embryonic stem cell research is taking away that right, hoping, and to with no success so far, that it will cure incurable diseases.