The real definition of beauty | Teen Ink

The real definition of beauty

By Liz Rosado Carrion BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Liz Rosado Carrion BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

For many years people have been wondering what beauty really means. Several people have said lies through their interpretations, but really there should be only one definition , and that is staying true to yourself. Unfortunately things like social media thinks otherwise, most of them display only one type of human form which is, thinness, body shape, tallness and having western facial features. Most humans aren't born this way and don't appear to be this way. We have variety of body types that are beautiful and the media and companies should make some adjustments to their judgement. This is because the image of beauty overtime has alternated, and so has the pressure to look “beautiful”, it's almost as if it’s something fake or almost impossible to reach.“obesity is now seen largely as a lower-class trait, and thinness is more likely to be considered beautiful.”(Cengage Learning). Millions of women and men are changing their appearance because they don’t think they passed the standard of being beautiful. Well let me tell you all out there that none of it is true if you look around it’s not very often you see people that qualify with this and if so it doesn’t matter because you as well meet that status of being ravishing.
Many years ago some people made these figurines that for them represented what elegance and delicacy looked like. They had big breasts, huge buttocks and wide hips. This body form has also taken great part in the modern days interpretations. Its caused millions of people to change their appearances with risky procedures that can harm them or even worse kill them. Such as plastic surgery, getting botox etc. Have you ever wondered why people do this? Well it’s all do to the pressure to be beautiful because we cause others insecurities, for example putting body fit, skinny people on magazines and saying things like “look at this body, oh how perfect, if you want a body like this then you should get in shape” now isn’t that helpful?. How about things that encourages others to gain their confidence again like “everyone is beautiful, be you”.

Even cultures have change their judgments of their definition. Some cultures such as Asia are insecure with their eyelids because of stereotypes and rumors saying that it makes them unattractive, so millions of males and females in this culture have gotten eye surgery to make their eyelids wider. During the 21st century in China people did leg lengthening which is the process in which people take risks by making their legs longer just because they heard being short isn’t beautiful. I am a short person but i’m proud of who I am and no matter how others see me I will see myself the same way. Everyone should have the privilege to feel they don't have to change themselves. But unfortunetly some got easily persuaded and did it as height became an important factor in beauty.

In an even more severe problem the effects of insecurity have gone to the next level. Many women are self harming themselves to ease the pain they have from within. After doing something this tragical to themselves they don't reveal their feeling they just hide them like they hide their cuts. Even worse many women and men kill themselves. If the world doesn't see what this is doing to people then we have a problem. How would it feel being in the other side of the wall being called “fat”, “Ugly”, “short”. Then looking in the mirror and seeing that image people see in you, all because they think you aren't beautiful. I’m sure it would hurt. Others become anorexic and bulimic because they want to be as thin as the people shown in magazines and movies. Many companies say “This isn’t our fault it’s them who are doing this to themselves, if they decide to do this it doesn’t involve us. Our magazines and companies shouldn’t have to change for them”. It's true they don't have to change but they will have to stay with that idea that people are dying thanks to their influences.

Is there a happy ending to this? unfortunately no, but there is a way to make it better. At least we can fix some of the broken pieces but not all can be replaced. For example Magazine producers, casting agents for tv or movies they all can begin by realizing the problem and doing something about it instead of ignoring it. They should help others gain their confidence by presenting variety of human figures. Not only do they have to fix this but we as people have to take part in this as well, we can do this by resisting media influence.

The complete definition of what beauty really means we have all been carrying it, it’s being ourselves. I myself have seen family members and friends who feel uncomfortable in their bodies because they don’t believe they are beautiful.
They shouldn’t have to feel this way, we should feel comfortable in our own bodies. The society isn't doing such a good job reconstructing us.

It's about the definition of beauty and it's affect on the world

Deda. BRONZE said...
Deda. BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." -Elbert Hubbard
I have a lot of favorite quotes, but I don't have enough space to write them all here.
And I just don't know..... so yeah. PEACE DUDES.

LIz!!! I love your article it's really interesting and geat topic! :)