Deprived of Their Childhood | Teen Ink

Deprived of Their Childhood

January 8, 2014
By foodlover123 SILVER, Cambridge, Massachusetts
foodlover123 SILVER, Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Helpless and hopeless? Yes.

Desperate for any ray of light? Yes.
Pressured,forced,tortured and mistreated? Yes.
Bruised and Disturbed? Yes.

All of this is applicable to any child who is or was a victim of child labor. All of this can be relatable to any child working from dawn to dusk under dangerous and dirty conditions. All of this is familiar to any child who has no other choice than working all the time regardless of their comforts.
Is it fair for the children who are trapped in this world when they should be studying and exploring life? No, its not. Not for only those children, but for anyone who is in the same position. They don't deserve to get no treatment when they are ill and neither do they deserve to be in a position no one would want to be.
Child labor is growing in an immense amount and we don't even realize this. We go on with our daily lives without caring about the children who don't have their own daily life they are just getting tortured and forced to work in hazardous conditions.

According to the International Labour Organisation (ILO), there are 168 million child laborers this day which results to 11 percent of children aged 5 -17. Their statistics don't include all children in employment, but includes “work that deprives children of their childhood, their potential and their dignity, and that is harmful to physical and mental development.” Out of the 168 million children 85 million are engaged in hazardous work. 168 million children, all between ages 5 -17 are in such conditions and we don't even care. Reminder: They are only children who are deprived of their childhood, there are many more children. More than 168 million.
Ryder, International Labor Organisation Director-General, stated “We are moving in the right direction but progress is still too slow. If we are serious about ending the scourge of child labor in the foreseeable future, we need a substantial stepping-up of efforts at all levels. There are 168 million good reasons to do so.” Many people are helping, as Ryder said but that's not enough. Nothings enough till they get justice, till they get their childhood back, till their lips form into a smile, till they are living in proper conditions and till they get to see the bright side of life.


Imagine spending one day in their shoes.

Imagine being starved until you complete all the work in dangerous conditions.

Imagine getting abused over something you have no control.

Imagine having no reason to smile but hundreds of reasons to cry.

Imagine having no control over your childhood.


Proof? Open any website that covers unestablished cities and countries and you will find thousands of videos and pictures of the children working, sweating,dying and getting abused. Witness any child labor and you will get the urge to go out and help them or at the least stand up for them. See them on television and the internet, the same way like i saw a six year old carrying sacks of rice and flour on his shoulder. See them like i saw him, his mouth open for breath, his eyes red from crying, his body marked with bruises and his body shaking from the weight. Seeing children younger than me being tortured wrenched my heart in a weird way. If you were in my position, wouldn't you want to stop this?


The government should be the one taking care of this issue as its their responsibility but what's a leader without its followers. Unless, we don't help and support the government they won't be aware. There are some corrupt governments who don't want to take responsibility but if the population comes together and stands up for the wrong they will be pressured to help the children.

How can we help them if the government is not helping? The government is not the only support system these are many NGOs and community groups that help these children out and all they ask for is people to go on them for rallies and walks or some money. We spend so much money on us and sometimes we also waste money. Instead of doing that we can just donate there to the groups and NGOs. As for our participation, if we have spare time we can always go and help them out and in our routine we do have spare time so that can always be given to them.

Majority of the people don't take this seriously, only because its not their child being tortured,controlled,mistreated and captured. But what if it was? What if, one of the child was your sibling,child,cousin or niece or nephew or any relative? Would any of us still act like its none of our concern? I don't think so.
Not caring about them just because we don't know them is just being extremely insensitive. A wise man once said “You should treat people the way you want them to treat you.” Always keep this in mind, because none of us know what will happen the next day or even in the next hour and we may want their help, the same way they need ours.
We have the opportunity to help millions of people and just standing up for them won't take much of our time.
“There are 168 million good reasons to do so.”
168 million.
And more.