Stoping Gang Violence | Teen Ink

Stoping Gang Violence

January 8, 2014
By Ronald E BRONZE, Washington, District Of Columbia
Ronald E BRONZE, Washington, District Of Columbia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

People join gangs so they can feel good about themselves. Also people join gangs because they are stressed out and often are under peer pressure. Is it because they get bullied, or even maybe is it because they see their friends do it? No one knows, but when you join a gang it can change your life forever. Gangs can lead to two things. You’re dead or in jail, gang violence causes too much death in this society. You can get kicked out of school, get killed, or not being able to go anywhere in life.
The first reason gang violence causes too much death in this society is because kids get kicked out of school. For example, my friend Tay got kicked out of school because a gang tried to jump him which led to him getting expelled for throwing punches back. This shows the effect of why gang violence causes kids to get kicked out of school. Also kids can’t get smarter if they get kicked out of school.
The second reason gang violence causes too much death in this society is because you can get killed. For example a gang member/rapper name Lil JoJo got killed in Chicago because he was in a gang and they were beefing with each other. This is an example explaining how gang violence can cause people to get killed or seriously injured. Also the violence can increase because of that rapper getting killed.
The third reason gang violence causes too much death in this society is because you can’t go any where if you are beefing with gangs. For example, my friend cannot go to MLK Avenue or Anacostia station because he is terrified that he is going to get jumped. If my friend was never in a gang or beefing, then he could go places like Anacostia station or MLK Avenue. Lastly people will avoid going to school because they are afraid that they will get jumped or seriously injured.
I know you want to fit in and be with your hood or group but we are not just hurting our people we are hurting ourselves. While some people might think that violence is the only way we can solve our problems, i have proven that we lose our loved ones everyday and violence do not solve anything. What do you think Martin Luther King Jr would have did?, or Rosa Parks? or even Nelson Mandela? These people fought for the rights we have today and we are taking these people for granted. I know what it is like wanting to fit in and wanting to be with your hood. I grew up around smoking, drinking, and now i’m telling the people in this world that violence is not the key to success. Everybody has seen a person they love die. Going out and using violence is not adding up in the equation. Make a change. A REAL CHANGE!


The author's comments:
My friend got shot for his Helly Hansen jacket.I was crushed when i heard the news and i decided that i should make a article about how violence is wrong.