What Patriotism Means To Me | Teen Ink

What Patriotism Means To Me

By BMTs2 BRONZE, APO, AE, Other
BMTs2 BRONZE, APO, AE, Other

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

First, let me start with the definition from the Merriam Webster Dictionary, “[Patriotism is the] love that people feel for their country.” Notice this does not say the love people feel for a specific country.

In the United States there are many monuments to American patriotism. In our capital there are monuments to our past leaders. For example, the Washington Monument, which honors the father of our country who was a great patriot of the Revolutionary War. The British called him a traitor. There are Monuments to our military, World Wars, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War that honor our military patriots. Then there is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the most honored monument to our fallen patriots in America.

As a student, only exposed to life in America, I would be writing this article from an American point of view. However, this year I move to Germany to live. Every day I travel to and from school through four small towns to and from my home. Each town has a monument to their two World Wars. Which are the same as our World Wars, only they were our enemy. They are very small monuments to the men who died in those Wars from each town. Small if compared to the Washington Monument. All are stone monuments near the center of the town. Some have a Cross on them with the names of the fallen solders carved on them and the date each man died. One has a carved German Helmet on it with a wreath and a large cannon ball on top. Another has a fountain with it. All are still very well maintained even though there is no one alive who remembers World War I, and there are few who remember World War II.

These were their wars too. Like us they honor their fallen solders as patriots much like we do. The term patriotism can be used to describe your heroes and even your foes. All stood up and fought for what they believed in. A few are remembered on monuments and plaques, most are simply forgotten.

Patriotism has a very simple definition, but it is a complex concept. What makes a patriot? I guess that depends on your point of view and who writes history.