Animal Testig: Is it really that bad? | Teen Ink

Animal Testig: Is it really that bad?

By mmblackandwhite10 BRONZE, Montville, New Jersey
mmblackandwhite10 BRONZE, Montville, New Jersey

Humans have been benefiting from animals since the Stone Age. Therefore; the use of animal testing is no different . Animal testing should be used because it is beneficial for humans for it has made great significance in science. Also animals are the closer to the human anatomy than machinery and other substitutes. Furthermore, there is no reason why it should not be used because their supposedly brutal treatment is over exaggerated. Overall animal testing is helpful because it has made medical breakthroughs in science, it is better than technology, and animals are treated better than we expect.

Many diseases have been cured because of animal testing. For example, The UCLA studies used mice to discover Heracpitin which cured breast cancer. Now millions of people can be with loved ones and focus on things other than illness. Furthermore, a surgical technique named keyhole surgery has been used on animals and now is used to help patients who need surgery. Considering the successful cures due to this type of testing has proved its effectiveness.

animals are closer to humans than other substitutes such as machines. They have similar body systems; therefore, they are the better option to use. Also, if substitutes were used they would not work because they are not reliable to use. The FDA states that other procedures that will replace animal testing are still in development and are not ready to be used . This is why animal testing is currently the best option. Furthermore, machines can’t replace actual living beings. For example, mice are mammals, and have 99% of genes set up in the same order of humans. Even though there are substitutes they cannot replace the actual animals being used.

The so called terrible conditions of labs are over exaggerated. Usually, an adorable kitten or puppy is shown being tortured through unnecessary testing. However, this is not true. According to the president of Biomedical Research, Frankie L. Trull, 95% of the animals used are specially bred laboratory mice. Although in advertisements animal rights activist show innocent animals being killed and other depravities , they hide the fact that they have a short life span. In addition, scientist have reduced the number of animals that are used for laboratories. Also, it is not necessary that all animals die when they are used for research. The animals in testing are not treated as brutally as depicted in advertisements.

Animals have been used for ages. They are used in the smallest of things, from gelatin to soap, or from leather, to clothing. So if no one has an objection to that, then why animal testing? Animal testing is important not only because it cures diseases, it also is safer, in addition, their conditions have been over exaggerated. For example, the cure of breast cancer has been discovered because of animal testing; millions of women now have the chance to live because of animal testing. Do other species come before our own? On the other hand, animals are closer to humans making them a smarter option than machines. Lastly, animals conditions are over exaggerated and they are used for beneficial purposes. Animal testing has benefitted not only medicine but humanity as a whole; clearly, the end justifies the means.