People Can't Buy Me Hate | Teen Ink

People Can't Buy Me Hate

May 24, 2013
By Scotty Dolgov BRONZE, Natick, Massachusetts
Scotty Dolgov BRONZE, Natick, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

People Can’t Buy Me Hate
I hate you. The one phrase that grasps your soul from the core, and squeezes it so hard so that every drop of self esteem and happiness is drained away. It is only natural that as humans, we fill ourselves with the rage of a lioness as her cubs are besieged by hungry hyenas. As a result of this rage, the hatred becomes reciprocal. You hate me, so I hate you back in order to compensate.
As this tumor of hate permeates your brain, you start to hate more than that person: their friends, their family, and maybe even their interests. This second-hand hatred then results hating anything or anyone that has to do with anything or anyone affiliated with the person, and the cycle goes on and on, and the hatred becomes more and more irrational.
The best example of a real life situation of this “hate cycle” is in fact not hatred towards a person, but rather a group of people: the Nazis. Let’s face it, hating Nazis in todays world is not considered such a bad thing. Almost seventy years later, the legacy of Hitler and the National Socialist Party has spread in the media as a disgrace to the history of Mankind. As a family member of Holocaust victims, I in no way support the Nazi party, however, this spread of Anti-Nazi propaganda, to me, seems like the media is indoctrinating human society to hate Nazis. For example, in the game Call of Duty, there is a level where you walk around a warehouse shooting zombies. But not just any type of zombies, NAZI zombies. As a result, today’s youth is being immersed in a bath of anti-Nazism with no ability to breathe the great gift of thinking for themselves.
As this bath of anti-Nazism becomes more and more filled, Anti-German rhetoric also starts to rush out of the faucet. Many relatives of holocaust survivors show this hatred by refusing to purchase German cars or any other German products. Some go as far as refusing to buying Bayer aspirin because Bayer manufactured the gas used in the gas chambers at Auschwitz. Some even won’t buy Adidas or Puma because supposedly, the founders of both were supporters of the Nazi Party. As the hate reaches the edge of the bath, this is where I ask myself, will it ever overflow? Most importantly, who will turn off the faucet? When will society allow us to think about things or people for ourselves rather than trying to brainwash us into thinking what the rest of the world thinks? This is the single thing about hate that makes me want to take a baseball bat smash a giant glass building as quickly dilapidates to nothing but shards.
I had experience when I was young in which my mom was telling me how to think. For as long as can remember I never liked the taste of peanut butter. the creamy goop mixed with an odd nutty taste made we want to gag like getting an impression in the orthodontist chair. I wanted that jar of Skippy to skip away from me. For some reason my mom kept on making me try peanut butter and it drove me pea-nuts, so I asked my mom in disgust of both her making me try it and the taste of peanut butter,
“Why do you make me try it so much? Every time I try it, I it's gross.
Her revolting response was that she was going to make me try it until I liked it. So now I’m being indoctrinated by MOTHER, and yes, I still am not a fan of peanut butter. It is the small situations like these that have formed my opinion over the years about people telling others how to think, especially about who to hate.
So okay, hatred? Brainwashing? Nazis? PEANUT BUTTER? What the hell is the point of this rambling adolescent junk? My point is a piece of advice. Never let anyone tell you how to think and especially who to hate. Always judge the situation for yourself. Whether you take this advice or not is your choice. It is simply just a piece of information for you to judge.


The author's comments:
This an essay I wrote for my English class about hate and how it has shaped our society