Freedom of Belief | Teen Ink

Freedom of Belief

By QuitterFairy BRONZE, Nampa, Idaho
QuitterFairy BRONZE, Nampa, Idaho

In America, we focus on freedom quite a bit. We have fought long and hard to attain our freedom. We celebrate Independence Day, which is the day that we officially gained our freedom from England. In schools we recite the "Pledge of Allegiance" which signifies the commitment we offer to our Republic and it's aim to offer liberty and justice to all. Are we really free though? Are we really free to believe what we want and to express those beliefs?

We have laws set in place to keep us safe. Things like: do not murder, do not steal, do not abuse people. These laws protect us from ourselves. I believe that certain laws are necessary to ensure our safety and to keep us from being destroyed as a society. The problem is, when does law end and freedom begin? How do we find a balance between practicing our freedom and not encroaching on other peoples' freedom?

In many countries, people are persecuted for their faith, whatever that may be. Originally, Protestant Christians came to America so that they could be free to practice their religion without the Church of England persecuting them. Today, there is a wide variety of faiths and beliefs spread widely across America, but it seems like America is turning into a country where you are free to believe, but you are not free to express your beliefs.

In schools, children are taught one idea about how the universe was created. That is the Big Bang Theory which is part of the Atheistic belief. There is no possible way to prove that this theory is true, so why is it taught like it is a scientific fact? I believe that this theory is taught because it is not considered a religious belief, so it does not encroach on other peoples' beliefs. But is Atheism not a belief system? Even if you say you do not believe in something you still believe in something. Nothing is something, you see. Does it not seem reasonable to teach different theories, even if they do come from belief systems, and let children decide for themselves? Are people so afraid of a free-thinking society that they must snuff out any possibility of difference?

As a society, we need to decide what we want our future to look like. Do we want a nation of zombies that need to be told what and when to believe without making any choices for themselves? Or do we want a nation of free-thinking individuals who can try their best to better their world? Allowing people to access different belief systems and then allowing them to decide for themselves can, in turn, better their thinking skills. People who are free to think are smarter. Smart people who are free to decide for themselves make smart decisions because they are more informed. Informed decisions can lead to better lives.

This piece was an assignment from my English class. We were supposed to write about something that we felt strongly about, and this was the topic that immediately popped into my head.