Causes of Poverty in America | Teen Ink

Causes of Poverty in America

By Ezmeralda Contreras BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
Ezmeralda Contreras BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

Have you ever considered what poverty does to those living in the United States? Poverty creates a bad reputation for the United States. It also causes people to live a life of struggle. The purpose of this essay is to show the negative effects of poverty in the United States.

The United States has a bad reputation, the cause being poverty. This lowers United States’ self-esteem as a whole country. Homeless people collect trash from dumpsters and trashcans. Poor people are not able to provide themselves housing, a place to sleep, or a place to dispose of waste properly because of shortage of money. Poor and homeless people think that the streets are their home. The streets of the U.S. look filthy and create negative views of the United States.

Poverty causes a low-quality life for many citizens. Some people would rather end their life because of economic or life problems than try to look for a job or get a good education for themselves. By not choosing a positive decision, their chance of ever going to college or school will dramatically decrease and disappear. Their life would be of low-quality because of their poor choices.

Poverty in America only causes negative perspectives against the citizens of the U.S. If poor people in society trash our streets, the beauty of our country will be destroyed. The quality of life is even poorer across the United States. Higher poverty rates make every person in the United States to look bad, especially poor, dirty, and homeless people.