Gun Control | Teen Ink

Gun Control

March 20, 2013
By Ezmeralda Contreras BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
Ezmeralda Contreras BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When has it become normal to hear that the government is snooping around in your daily activities? The argument of today’s society is deciding on who gets to control guns. On the conservative side, they believe that the gun owner should control their own gun use and decide when they can buy them; on the other hand, the liberal side believes that the government should control guns. I believe that the government should not have any control over citizen’s gun use and purchases because laws don’t control violence, rights don’t come from the government, and people’s rights can’t be taken away by the government(1).

Laws don’t control gun violence. People on the liberal side state that increased gun control will reduce gun violence. In reality, when killers and murders have a gun in hand, the government can’t stop the person from shooting in one split second. Not every person in the U.S. will say that they contain a gun. The government can’t stop those people from committing a crime when they don’t know who has a gun. Because of this, those people will then take advantage and do something violent with his or her gun. Therefore, controlling guns will not reduce the amount of gun violence in the United States (1).

Rights don’t come from the government the government can’t say what rights we can and can’t have. Only the Constitution has our rights written down. Only privileges come from the government. The government thinks that we should earn things like our human rights; when in reality, we need to earn things like licenses, jobs, and other material things. We deserve our human and natural rights. Therefore, the government does not control the rights you can and can’t have in life (2).

People’s rights can’t be taken away by the government. The government isn’t the actual leader of the United States. The Constitution has all of our rights written down in permanent ink. Our rights then include our right to bear arms. The right to bear to bear arms can’t be taken away by the government officials. The constitution states that it is a right for all people. Therefore, no human rights can be taken away by the government; for instance, the right to bear arms.

The government shouldn’t control who can or can’t buy a gun. The laws set by the government don’t control gun violence, rights do not come from the government, and people’s rights can’t be taken away by the government. Consider the idea that the government would be going through your personal items because you want to buy a gun for your protection. It’s not the thing you want in your life.
(1): www.conservativevs.liberalbeliefs
(2): www.therighttobeararms