Cloning | Teen Ink

Cloning

February 21, 2013
By Braeden Olson BRONZE, Oswego, IL, Illinois
Braeden Olson BRONZE, Oswego, IL, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The controversial topic of cloning has been around for several years. Many scientists and citizens believe that cloning can be the future for many countries. Others believe that it is a crime against humanity to clone a person that was previously alive. To clone a human is fortunately out of our reach in technology at this point in time. Cloning animals is in our reach. Animals have been successfully cloned in the past and they continue to clone different types of animals. The animals that have been cloned successfully are sheep, horses, mice, and cows. When monkeys and gorillas were being cloned, something would go wrong every time that would not allow the monkeys to be born. The reason being for this not working would be that monkeys and gorillas genes are too similar to the genes of humans.

Cloning animals has no harm on the animals because most of the attempts have worked. Cloning on humans has been tried a couple of times and all attempts have been failures. Even though animals have been successfully cloned over the years, many people still think that experiments on them are immoral. Most of these people are from the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) or just animal lovers. Out of all the animals that have been cloned, there are a few that have had slight abnormalities to them. These abnormalities to the animals are not bad because a clone was still successfully made but there were minor differences in the appearance. The first cloned animal that was successful was a sheep named Dolly that was cloned in the 1980’s. This was a big step in the scientific world because it gave more research about cloning. This sheep only lived for four years but was still a big step to further research on cloning. The other type of cloning that does no harm is therapeutic cloning. Therapeutic cloning is taking stem cells from a different cell and trying to regrow limbs. This can be very useful because instead of prosthetic legs for people who have lost limbs, they can regrow the limbs to be exactly like the lost limb. This has been tried but there have been very few successes. This form of cloning can also be used to cure deadly diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. This is also accomplished by using stem cells from different cells that do not have the disease. Then they put all the clean cells in with the infected cells which will hopefully take out all of the infected cells.

The benefits and risks of all cloning vary from being immoral or moral for humanity. For reproductive cloning, which is trying to clone humans, has the big risk of a clone having a deadly disease that can spread very easily and possibly kill a lot of people. The benefits for cloning can be used for healing limbs to curing deadly diseases such as cancer. To conclude, the only type of cloning that should be a loud are therapeutic cloning and cloning animals.