Same Sex Marriage | Teen Ink

Same Sex Marriage

January 10, 2013
By Catherine2564 BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey
Catherine2564 BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Everyone deserves to be happy, right? I mean, we cheer and clap when a bride and groom get married. So why do we make such a big deal when two guys or two girls get married? They are just ordinary people that have different interests then others. But don’t we all have different interests? That’s what makes us human. Also, lately a big topic going around is the lack of individuality in today’s world. But stopping same sex marriage is basically stopping them from expressing their individuality and being who they are.

In addition, our whole nation is about “anti-bullying” but when people are telling guys and girls they can’t be married, isn’t that a form of bullying? In fact, according to The National Institutes of Health 2004 survey, students hear anti-gay insults 25 times a day, and teachers fail to respond to these comments 97% of the time. Also, 89.2% of students hear “that’s so gay” or “you’re so gay”!

I believe everybody deserves to be happy with marrying their opposite or same sex. My question is, however, how is their marriage anybody else’s business? Also, how is their marriage affecting anybody’s life but their own? I don’t understand why we have to always worry about what others are doing.

People say that the reason they are against same sex marriage is because they don’t want their children to follow them and develop an interest in their same sex. To me, I think that is sick. Basically what that parent is saying is that if their child is gay, they can’t accept them for who they are. I think it is “healthy” to see diversity, such as same sex couples, so you are influenced to be your own person.

The government draws this issue as a horrible thing when it really isn’t! I actually feel so dreadful for the couples that have to either wait for a law to be passed that they can get married or travel to another state just to get married! Now why should anybody have to go through that kind of trouble just to get married? Moreover, the First Amendment protects us from the government which is basically allowing us to express our thoughts and feelings. Well last time I checked, love is a feeling. It doesn’t matter who you feel it with, as long as you’re happy.

In conclusion, same sex marriage shouldn’t be up for argument because there is nothing wrong or harmful about it. Also, everybody deserves to be happy and be able to marry whoever they wish. Lastly, it isn’t anybody’s business who they marry but their own.

(Source used: http://antibullyingprograms.org/Statistics.html )