Slavery: The spark that lit the fire | Teen Ink

Slavery: The spark that lit the fire

We the rich white men of the United States, in order to form a more powerful upper class union, establish skewed justice, insure domestic tranquility for those deemed important, provide for the common defense of whom we choose, promote the general welfare of those we like, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America. The preamble of our constitution, torn apart by the conflict between the north and south over slavery.

Slavery was the root cause of the war between the north and the south. It all started with sectionalism.
- sec·tion·al·ism
[sek-shuh-nl-iz-uhm] noun excessive regard for sectional or local interests; regional or local spirit, prejudice, etc.

As time wore on, The north and South began to separate Economically, Politically, and most importantly, morally. This caused great tension between the sides, often leading to violent and even deadly conflicts. sectionalism eventually caused the south to secede from the union, ultimately separating the north and south in war.

States rights were also brought up during the debate on slavery. Every other time a new state entered the union, there would be an imbalance in the senate, because that state would add one to many slave or free states. Compromises were made such as the missouri compromise, but compromise after compromise eventually started to void the conditions made by these compromises, like the kansas-nebraska act that made the missouri compromise null and void. States began to question whether it was their right to ignore federal laws. This further separated the north and south to the point of war.

All this however, was leading up to the start of the war between the north and the south; Bleeding kansas. Bleeding Kansas composed of some of the first open truly violent altercations before the actual officially declared civil war. Pro and Anti slavery groups gathered and fought along the Kansas-Missouri border. The fight also attracted what were called “border ruffians,” people who came to the border simply to fight, not taking any particular side. The sides went so far as to have separate capitals for pro and anti-slavery government.

Overall, slavery is what sparked many a conflict between the North and South, eventually ending in all out war. Slavery brought sectionalism into the country, dividing the US in two. Slavery brought up states rights as a major political point. And finally, slavery divides the country at the Kansas-Missouri border, during the Bleeding Kansas altercations. And so started the civil war, a war fought over whether it was wrong to own another human being and work him as if a machine, with no rights or civil liberties.