bringing honor to the world | Teen Ink

bringing honor to the world

By halle-allison GOLD, Fayetteville, North Carolina
halle-allison GOLD, Fayetteville, North Carolina

love is like a battle field you fight for the one you love or lose them for ever

When asked what does it mean to honor those before us as we hope to be honored by those whom pass along our treasure knowledge and skill, I would have to say take pride in the people who came before us, because without them we would not be where we are today, and we hope that not only our children but the ones who come after us will look up to us the same way we look up to the people who came before we came along.
One person that I look up to would be Major General Marcelite J. Harris, the first African American female Generals of the Air force. I look up to her because, I am interested in becoming a part of the Air force, and by seeing that she was able to accomplish one of her many goals it motivates me to strive hard and to do my best, so that one day I will reach my goal and be recognized just like she was. To prepare myself I have applied and been accepted to Norwich University which not too long ago started letting women join their school. While there I plan to work hard and stand out from the other cadets. When I feel like I am about to give up I will remember Major General Harris, and that she would have never given up, but would have kept fighting for what she wanted.
If there was never a man named Doctor Martin Luther King Jr, I would never be where I am today. We would still be stuck in the hard times of black men and women not getting the same chance of not just an education but being respected the same as white men or women. Without him standing up for what he believed was right we would be living a completely different life and I would not have gotten the privilege to do all the things that I have accomplished in my life that people back then didn’t even think about doing. So many lives were lost during this time, but so much was gained. It’s such a shame that so many people have to lose their life just to say what they believe is right. By honoring MLK today we celebrate his birthday and name streets and highways after him, but for me personally I honor him by never forgetting his I have a dream speech.
When I am older I hope that not only my children but the ones that cross paths with me will seem me as a person they will look up to. That they will treasure everything that I have taught or said to them will help them make the right choice in the future. For the people honor my skills and knowledge I hope that they not only look up to me but all the others who can offer them good advice about how they should follow their heart and set out and do anything they believe is worth accomplishing. I pray that in the future we will have less African Americans that drop out, and more that walk across the stage to receive their diploma. In my generation of African American teenager there will be a few of us that are able to make a different in the way we see the world today, it might not seem as big as president Barack Obama being elected, or Rosa Parks not giving up her seat but, all that matters is that you were able to make a difference it someone’s life.
Honor those before us as we hope to be honored by those whom pass along our treasure knowledge and skills, means to me never forget the people who came before you, because without them you would never be where you are today, and don’t waste your life not doing what’s right set the example for the ones who come after you. You might not be a Martin Luther King or General Harris but that does not mean you can’t make a difference in the world. Just work hard and believe in yourself.

a paper I wrote for one a honoring topic