Human Euthanization Should Be Legal | Teen Ink

Human Euthanization Should Be Legal

February 25, 2010
By Christy PLATINUM, Arden Hills, Minnesota
Christy PLATINUM, Arden Hills, Minnesota
23 articles 18 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness is not a destination, but a way of travel."


It took only three bottles and six minutes for Jack Kevorkian to painlessly end Jane’s life. She was just one of thousands of people in the United States wishing for an end to a painful, terminal disease, and Jack provided the way out.... through Euthanization. Euthanizing people has been one of the most debated topics in all of the United States. Some politicians consider human euthanization to be murder; others consider it an end to suffering, or a death with dignity. I believe Euthanization should be legalized in America, provided that there are strict guidelines and procedures.


Euthanization is one of the few painless ways for a suffering person to leave the living. Like Tenzin Gyatso says, “In the event a person is definitely going to die, and is either in great pain or has virtually become a vegetable, prolonging their life would be cruel.” At the Hemlock Society they get dozens of calls daily from desperate people looking for someone to end their lives that have lost any quality. Although many think that euthanizing people will start down a slippery slope to allowing murder, I think strict guidelines could prevent this. Through clear policies and procedures I think America could create a method to allow doctors to assist suffering humans out of this world.


In America everyone should have the right to control what happens to their body, so this should include euthanization. Euthanasia should be the right of a competent, terminally ill person to avoid excruciating pain and embrace a timely, dignified death. Like Jack Kevorkian says, “Everyone has a right for suicide, because a person has a right to determine what will or will not be done to his body.” Already in the Netherlands euthanasia has been legalized, so long as the Dutch physicians follow strict procedures. In order to be qualified for euthanasia the person must repeatedly ask to die, they must be enduring unbearable suffering, they must have tried all alternative treatments, they must understand all the information related to the procedure, and they must have multiple doctors agree to the procedure. This seems like an effective way to do it. Therefore I think the American Supreme Court should allow euthanasia, since it should be the right of an American citizen to control what happens to their body.


The very definition of euthanasia suggests a painless death. In Greek “eus” means good and “thanatos” means death. If a person is in a vegetative or suffering state, they should be able to choose euthanasia as a last resort, and not have to continue to suffer. Doctors should not be charged for agreeing to such a procedure. Kevorkian said, “I believe there are many people who are healthy and mentally competent to decide on suicide, people who are not depressed.” United States should now create a legal way to end such pain, and not force terminally ill people to suffer.


Using strict guidelines and procedures I believe that euthanasia should be allowed in the United States. Not only is it a kind way to end suffering, but it is also a right for Americans to choose what happens to their bodies. To require dying patients to endure unrelievable suffering regardless of their wishes is callous and unseemly. Would you require someone to die a slow and painful death against their wishes? I hope not, because through euthanasia you could avoid this and give someone the gift of a death with dignity.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 48 comments.


Rita said...
on Mar. 27 2016 at 6:07 pm
Morgan, what a fantastic account of your surgery. It was an interesting account of your experience. This may be helpful for your friends and others to read.
I remember how terrified I was when I had to have an IV.
Glad you're doing well.

bhonest said...
on Apr. 19 2015 at 7:57 pm
Seriously this is a serious topic and I wish it was already legal I don't think anyone should have to live through the complete and total collapse of there body I'll be straight if I'm so broke I lay in a bed of my own filth I'm not alive plz sent me somewhere better

NO RELIGION said...
on Feb. 24 2014 at 1:39 pm
of course you would disagree with this, you believe in god and all that "god made life,life is valuable" shit. It doesnt matter,  Unless you've seen god and got proof you can't bring religion into this topic

on Dec. 14 2013 at 2:17 pm
I totally disagree with taking a life. I believe that if God gives life no one has the right to take life away no matter the circumstances. I am a cancer patient and I suffer and see suffering everyday. I've worked with developmentally delayed children and they are a blessing! All life is valuable because it is a gift from God.

on Aug. 25 2013 at 3:30 pm
Kids are property of the parents just so you know that.  I am 100 5 in favor fo human euthanizaion.  Why should I or anyone else have to suffer many years with chronic pain.  Why shouln't I and all others suffering be allowed to die with dignaty, and then have our organs given to thise that need them and want to live.  With my death, my heart, my lungs, my liver, what ever could be used to help those that are in need of organ transplants.  My pain will end, and my life will continue to live within someone else that wants to live and in need of organ transplant.    

IAmAwesome said...
on Jun. 11 2013 at 11:49 pm
but their family can choose what they think is best for them

MrTeddyBear said...
on Apr. 3 2013 at 8:53 am
Fourth paragraph, second sentence: "If a person is in a vegetative or suffering state, they should be able to choose euthanasia as a last resort..." Gee, if a person is a "vegetable", I'm pretty darn sure that they won't be able to make any decisions, much less communicate them.

Just me said...
on Dec. 30 2012 at 5:59 pm
I agree to human euthanization but I say not only for the sick but also for those who do not just in general want to live, you could say I am pro choice to life in general. This would help over population in general and cut back on health care cost for those individuals who try to kill themselves who we keep alive and then stuff them full of medication to prevent them from trying again. What's wrong with that picture, and why do we say they are crazy for not wanting to live when we as a human race are breeding ourselves to extinction. Maybe euthanization can be a way the human race can give back to the earth that every day we are destroying which inevitably will be the end of human existence if we don't do something about it. I say euthanization for all who want them!

on Dec. 18 2012 at 1:14 am
Euthanasia is allowable for pets because they are defined as 'property' via the AWA 1966. Humans are not property.

on Jun. 17 2012 at 5:26 pm
SingingismylifeSYV BRONZE, Sarasota, Florida
1 article 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"do you like music?"
~"do you like breathing?"

What a great structured article! I agree with Euthanization simply because I don't think suffering should have to be part of life. I'm not saying to go and euthanize everybody that has problems, but, for example: What if your Grandfather of 81 years-old was to get in a car crash and was put into what my family calls "Vegetable state" Would you want them to remain helpless and miserable until their body crashes? I don't think that's fair. At that point the victim DOESN'T have the choice! What then? Just my opinion. 

RobertC said...
on Feb. 28 2012 at 4:47 pm
euthanization is an extremely "fragile" topic to write about, and I commend you for being brave enough too. I currently do not believe in euthanization. if you have someone help you take your life, you might call them a "saint" or "angel" before you do. I do believe people have the right to stop suffering, but you are putting that being in risk of spending a fair amount of time in prison. There is no assisted suicide or emunization law that keeps people out of trouble from helping someone take part. In the end, if someone is suffering, they should have the strength to take their own lives so they do not endanger others around them. The only time they should ask for assistant is when they phsyically cannot perform the task.

on Dec. 24 2011 at 11:39 am
RumMonkey BRONZE, Sunny Side Somewhere, Other
4 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I dream I'm on the surface of my own life, watching it unfold."

*completely

on Dec. 24 2011 at 8:43 am
RumMonkey BRONZE, Sunny Side Somewhere, Other
4 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I dream I'm on the surface of my own life, watching it unfold."

It's easy to say "euthanisation is terrible" if you're not the one dying slowly every day. I cmpletely agree with this article. You wrote perfectly.

HannahDanny said...
on Dec. 6 2011 at 2:13 pm

I have recently been assigned to do a speech over human euthanization and this is what i have to say about it:

I feel as if we can decide whether human euthanization is a pro whenever or if we ever get into a situation where we are in a life or death situation. i am not either for or against Human Euthanization. IIt is not my place to choose or to judge people who are for or against it but i feel as when we become older and we have a terminal illness, we will finally kno whats its like to choose the decision for human euthanization.
---Hannah Irvin
Thank you for reading


BullyMe said...
on Nov. 16 2011 at 1:22 pm
:O            

shi fuu said...
on Nov. 16 2011 at 1:17 pm
your article is the bee's knees:)

on Jun. 26 2011 at 1:05 am
swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia
13 articles 17 photos 102 comments

Favorite Quote:
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I didn't read the entire article; probably the first half. But from what I read, I do believe that euthanasia by death should be CONSIDERED as an end to suffering.

Any animal is allowed to be euthanized if they are fatally injured and/or are suffering.

Why isn't it the same with people? If you are hit by a car and are in so much suffering, and there is nothing you can do, why make them wait a few hours as they die painfully rather than put them out of their misery?

Of course, you should make absolute SURE there is NOTHING else that can be done, and the person has formally consented to the process.

Nice job on the article.

Good topic.


thatguy said...
on May. 30 2011 at 4:23 am
Euthanization is when a doctor administers the injection, whereas assisted suicide is when the patient kills themself with help from a doctor

on Apr. 15 2011 at 8:17 pm
rememberme BRONZE, Flemingsburg, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
i agree 100%

halninek said...
on Mar. 28 2011 at 12:23 am

Great article. To have a law in place intended to prevent a person from carrying out his or her own wishes in terms of suicide is maddening. What about people who are just sick of life? I'd just drink some antifreeze and inject an insane amount of heroin and be done with it.

I feel bad about people who physically or mentally can't make the choice for themselves, and then ontop of that there are laws that prevent them from ending their own suffering. What's the point of these laws? So more people pay their taxes? Or perhaps because of the statement "Thou shalt not kill" is being interpreted incorrectly by people who believe this fiction?

Pointless religions are making the world a bad place, people just need to forget about their existance and live life because when you're dead you're dead...the electricity that was you becomes one with the earth again.