Teens Should Absolutely Be Tried as Adults When They Commit Adult Crimes | Teen Ink

Teens Should Absolutely Be Tried as Adults When They Commit Adult Crimes

By hchs1259 SILVER, Houston, Texas
hchs1259 SILVER, Houston, Texas

Murderers, rapists, and other criminals are being released from jail everyday after serving only very short and lenient sentences. Who are these criminals and what makes them so special? The criminals are juveniles who commit adult crimes. They are being tried every day in juvenile courts, they are receiving shortened sentences, and they are being released and given new identities to continue to live their lives in peaceful and happy bliss, all while their victims and their families are left to suffer forever. Because the courts and juvenile rights advocates believe that second chances should be given to youths who commit crimes, criminals are walking the streets, living as our neighbors, and in many instances committing additional crimes.

When it comes to trying teens in court as adults. Some say stop trying them as adults and try them as juveniles, others say they must be tried as adults when they commit adult crimes. I believe that teens should be held accountable for their actions and tried as adults. If I knew somebody who hurt or killed someone I loved, I would want him or her to experience the worst possible punishment for his or her actions. Some people say that children learn bad behavior from their parents, things like murder, rap or drug abuse; but I believe that children should learn from their parent’s mistakes. I agree with Jessica Wilde when she say’s “Morals are inherent from birth”(Wilde1). To me this is saying that kids, and even adults, should know the difference between right and wrong. Finally, put yourself in the mother’s position, if your son or daughter just died, how would you want their killer to be punished? How would you feel if you never got to see your child alive again while their killer served only a short sentence before being released from jail?

Now then, some people believe that we should stop putting teens in adult prison; they believe we should be lenient with them and give them easier sentences. These people argue that children are capable of learning from their mistakes and because they are children, they can be rehabilitated. Others say that teens are too young to understand the consequences of there actions, or that they don’t know their limitations with drugs or alcohol. I believe this is a ridiculous argument because teens shouldn’t be drinking or doing drugs in the first place. There are some people, like Hendricks, in his article “Stop Trying 13-Year-olds in Court as Adults”, who believe “They’re abused and come out more dangerous and damaged then when they went in”(Hendricks 2). This is a good argument; however, can’t we say the same thing for adults? Why should juveniles be treated any different than adults when the crimes they are committing are every bit as heinous as adult crimes?

Youths who commit crimes are criminals; they are walking our streets, living as our neighbors, and in many instances committing additional crimes. I strongly agree with Jessica Wilde when she says, “All crimes committed by juveniles should and must be treated in the same regard, it not to punish heinous acts, then to provide justice to the families of victims (Wilde 2). As a child myself, I was raised in a family who believes in punishments, spankings, and repercussions for the actions of the children. Some say morals are learned, others say we inherit morals at birth, either way, a criminal is a criminal and must be punished as such. Should we punish all juveniles as adults? Probably not with lesser crimes, but some crimes are certainly more heinous than others, and those crimes like murder and rape are adult crimes. It really doesn’t matter the age of the criminal, it they are committing crimes that are inherently adult in nature, then yes, these criminals absolutely should be punished as an adult regardless of their age. Our courts, our schools, nor our societies, should ever allow anyone, child or adult, get away with murder.

Ridlians said...
I agree with this opinion that teens should be seen as adults when they did adult's criminal. Because although teens are lack of education or mind of crime things, but they are almost adults and they've seen almost everything that adults have seen, they know what they are doing when they murder a people and should be punished for their movement.

BruhBruh said...
I personally believe that teens should be punished to the same extent as adults. I think that they should have the same length in their sentences, but be placed in a different facility than the older inmates of prison. Although teenagers have not matured mentally as much as adults, as long as they do not have a mental illness, they are old enough to know that their actions are detrimental to others.

I personally believe that people who commit crimes such as rape or murder should be charged with the same punishment as adults. Although kids lack decision-making, it does not mean that they lack the ability to understand that murder and rape is unacceptable.

Mikey123 said...
Children lack the decision-making capability of an adult. Our society obviously believes that, as they cannot vote or drive (or drink or smoke, but there's a medical aspect to that). So why should they be treated as adults if they commit a crime?

William Eshleman, Winston Salem, North Carolina
This is true. Teens should be punished as adults when they do adult crimes.

Quenton said...
This is a very true article and I agree with it strongly.

DjakobUnchained SILVER, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire" Winston Churchill

Im saying that the 25 year old who got the treatment he needed at 15 would not rape again and no that isn't a delusional thought.

Research paper? Me too. xD

123ihm123 said...
what date was this article published?

Is an idiot said...
on Dec. 31 2014 at 10:06 am
That's not the point.

IronRapture said...
Can they drink, smoke, have sex, vote, live alone, ect. also?

a person said...
I'm sorry if I am offending anybody, but I disagree with this article. being a kid myself, I have to wonder. Why can't we drink, or smoke, or sign legal documents like adults can? We are treated the same in court! Because We don't have the reasoning skills, or concrete Idea of consequence that adults do. We mostly act on impulse when we do bad things. That doesn't excuse us from whatever we did, I agree that every crime should be reacted to, but rehabilitation is also an option. Why turn a budding criminal into a guaranteed criminal when there is still hope for them? Why take a kids whole Life away because people might sleep a little better. A year or less in a juvenile detention center can be a wake up call for most kids. Also, someone doesn't just wake up one day and want to hurt somebody. Maybe they were abused and were never taught differently. This is just the view from where I stand. 

yass boo said...
i think teens should be charge as adult when they do adult crimes so they can learn the 1st time.  

Ravi said...
illusion?, please check the top of the page. Home > OPINION > Social Issues / Civics   It is indeed an opinion and was posted accordingly.

It's true, you should always regrain some using "I" when tryng to persuade. "your dad" here is just trying to be whitty and miserably failed. Why can't "your mom" use "I" in his own comment? This isnt a formal form of communication lol. 

A kid is a kid, yes. But the people who usually commit crimes like these are teens. Teenagers who know that their actions have consequences. Instead of expecting that their age could get them a free ride, they should accept the sentences they are given. 

Melissa said...
It's pronounced "Taught".

Melissa said...
It's pronounced "Rape".

illusion? said...
Ya it does kinda suck when someone raps my love ones. Yeesh i went to this article to find good things for my aff case, but all i got was personal opinions. XD

abcd said...
you're delusional if you are saying an older man won't rape