Modern Slavery: The Exploitative Reality of Prison Labor | Teen Ink

Modern Slavery: The Exploitative Reality of Prison Labor

June 4, 2024
By Hotcat2009 BRONZE, Culver City, California
Hotcat2009 BRONZE, Culver City, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Slavery is good. Well…, for some people at least. That is kind of a scary thought. The idea is that some people benefit from others being exploited and dehumanized, and thus might want to continue this cycle.

This unsettling notion has historical roots in the institution of slavery, where predominantly people of color were targeted, dehumanized, and exploited for labor. While most of us recognize that such an institution is morally wrong, if we truly believed it we would have eradicated all forms of similar exploitation. The Thirteenth Amendment aimed to abolish slavery, marking a significant achievement in American history. However, it inadvertently allowed for the continuation of forced labor under the name “prison labor.”

Prison labor raises the question: Is it a modern form of slavery? A persecuted group (people of color, predominantly due to the economic stagnation of their communities rooted in historical segregation) is disproportionately incarcerated and coerced into participating in prison labor for minimal pay. This industry generates billions in revenue annually, while those in prison are demonized and perceived as subhuman by the public. Despite the semantics, this system mirrors many of the same moral failings as slavery.

To truly address the issue, we must not only abolish prison labor but also confront the broader systemic problems within our criminal justice system. These include racial disparities in incarceration, excessively harsh sentences, and the societal stigmatization of prisoners. Reform must go beyond surface-level changes to create a fair and just society.


The primary objectives of prisons are to keep society safe, rehabilitate offenders, and punish those who commit crimes. However, current practices often fail to achieve these goals effectively. High recidivism rates indicate that many prisoners re-offend upon release, undermining public safety. The prison environment, vastly different from society, hinders successful reintegration. Once released, former inmates face significant barriers, such as employment discrimination and social stigma, increasing the likelihood of re-offending.

Rehabilitation programs exist but are often inadequate. To improve outcomes, we should prioritize comprehensive educational and vocational training within prisons. Equipping inmates with skills for employment can reduce recidivism and aid their reintegration into society. Additionally, many prisoners suffer from untreated health issues and addiction. Providing adequate mental health care and substance abuse programs can address these root causes of criminal behavior, further decreasing the likelihood of re-offending.

Restorative justice programs offer another promising avenue. These programs, such as victim-offender mediation, allow offenders to understand the impact of their actions, fostering empathy and promoting healing for both parties. For non-violent offenses, replacing incarceration with community service can help offenders make amends and contribute positively to society, reinforcing constructive behavior.

Policy reforms are also essential. Policies like the First Step Act come to mind here. The idea is to reassess mandatory minimum sentences and three-strike laws, which contribute to mass incarceration. Sentencing should be proportional and consider individual circumstances. Non-violent offenses, such as drug possession, should be treated as public health issues rather than criminal offenses, providing appropriate support and intervention instead of incarceration.

Supporting reentry into society is vital. Policies like “Ban the Box,” which remove the requirement for job applicants to disclose their criminal history initially, can reduce employment barriers for former inmates. Comprehensive reentry programs offering housing assistance, job placement services, and ongoing mentorship can help individuals navigate post-release challenges and avoid recidivism.

Community investment is equally important. By investing in communities disproportionately affected by incarceration, we can address the underlying issues that lead to crime. Improving education, creating job opportunities, and providing mental health and addiction services can create safer, more prosperous communities. Programs aimed at preventing youth involvement in crime through educational support, mentorship, and recreational activities can redirect at-risk youth toward positive life paths.

In conclusion, shifting the criminal justice system’s focus from punishment to rehabilitation offers a more humane and effective approach to reducing crime and recidivism. By addressing the root causes of criminal behavior. By investing in community support, and implementing restorative justice practices, we can create a safer, more equitable society. Moving away from punitive measures and towards a system that values rehabilitation and reintegration is not only morally right but also beneficial for the well-being of society as a whole.


The author's comments:

This is a subject that I have researched for years. My family has been a victim of the completely savage state of prisons present now, and throughout all of the U.S., the crime rate due to this only grows. I believe this hasn't seen as much support as other things simply because most people don't know what it is actually like to be inside one of the prisons. I think if we got the word out then more people might join the cause to reform our prisons into one that not only keeps the prisoners but us safe as well.