Sexualization of the Female Body: From the Perspective of a Trans Woman | Teen Ink

Sexualization of the Female Body: From the Perspective of a Trans Woman

October 27, 2023
By deadgirlcrawling GOLD, West Des Moines, Iowa
deadgirlcrawling GOLD, West Des Moines, Iowa
10 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Every setback you've forgiven me is a kingly gift you've given me"
-Bennet Foddy


If I were to start hormone replacement therapy, and walk shirtless in public every day, on what day would I be committing a crime? On what day would I have a ‘female’ chest rather than a ‘male’ one? 

And why are breasts obscene in the first place? It would seem the sole reason is because they are “exclusive” to the female body. Every part of the female body is considered something sexual: armpits, thighs, feet, forearms, chest, back, neck, you get the idea. 

Even when women are not being objectified, their bodies are seen as sexual objects. If a woman doesn’t wear enough, she’s desperate for sex. If she wears too much, she's being restricted by her husband, or her religion.

Both of these assumptions are misogynistic. Despite the second one seeming to imply a feminist message, it restricts these women’s freedom to express themselves, and to practice their religions. Why attack a muslim woman’s husband and not a sikh’s wife?

I feel uniquely qualified to speak on certain aspects of this issue, being a woman without a traditionally female body. 

When the male body is sexualized the way the female body is, as mine has been, it almost seems to describe an entirely different form. A man’s reproductive organs would never be described the way trans women’s are; not only are bodies like mine described with a different attitude, but also with different terms. 

Thus, without images, a being with no knowledge of humanity might assume humans have three or four sexes. 

These oddities are caused by taboos- the way we’ve evolved has shaped our sexuality, which has shaped our society and culture. Even though we are now smart enough that we don’t need those instinctive repulsions and attractions, the way we’ve built taboos into our society cements them in place, like a tree growing around a picket fence, stopping its removal long after the dog that needs to be kept in has died. 

We have better contraception than covering our sexual organs now. We have societal rules, and we have specially designed contraceptive devices. Still, we are simultaneously repulsed by and attracted to nudity, especially the nudity of a woman. 

I do not argue that the human body is not an inherently sexual thing- I argue that it is inherently sexual, but to the same degree that it is inherently respiratory, or digestive, or vascular. The entire body is imperfectly designed to maintain these systems in whatever way is most likely to pass on our genes. 

However, as proven by our society’s justified disgust for eugenics, we don’t care so much about passing on our genes to continue evolution anymore. It seems unreasonable then to continue enforcing such taboos- especially when they cause as much harm as they do to women and girls. 


The author's comments:

I wrote this esssay at a summer writing program at the University of Iowa