They Sought Suffrage: What the 19th Amendment Accomplished | Teen Ink

They Sought Suffrage: What the 19th Amendment Accomplished

By almogefriedman GOLD, Los Angeles, California
almogefriedman GOLD, Los Angeles, California

"We accept the love we think we deserve" - Stephen Chbosky (The Perks of Being a Wallflower)

In the land of the free, liberty, and justice for all lay a major population whose rights, or lack thereof, had proven to defy the notions upon which the United States of America was founded. Women, who are in no physical manner inferior to men did not possess the same rights as them. To object to this, the Woman’s Suffrage Movement made great strides for progress and accomplished it nearly one hundred years later; through the 19th Amendment.

Prior to Congress’s ratification of the Women’s Right to Vote Amendment, women had no voice in government, and consequently, their needs could not be reflected in their very own legislation. Matters such as domestic abuse, gender-biased low wages and work treatment, and assault greatly affected women of the pre-progressive time. However, because of society’s inherent misogyny, these issues could never be brought to public concern. This subjugated women to male dominance, and thereby a male-favoring government. Simultaneously, women were and still are expected to maintain order in the house. Women had to be confined to indoor matters while men had sole autonomy over legislation.

While it is true that women are by no means inferior to men, it is also important to note that they are different, and this difference in opinion can diversify the government. The United States of America’s constitution was created upon ideas that seemed radical at the time; freedom, liberty, equality, and democracy. Yet from the years of its founding up until the 19th Amendment, America’s democracy was evidently deceptive seeing as African Americans and women have only recently been granted their inalienable rights, due to the strides and resilience of these groups.

The 19th Amendment has helped settle longstanding contentions over women’s inferiority in society. While progress is far from complete, the great problem of the disenfranchisement of women is being solved, step by step