Cosmetics and Chinese Philosophy | Teen Ink

Cosmetics and Chinese Philosophy

By 26guyere BRONZE, La Canada, California
26guyere BRONZE, La Canada, California

Almost every human on the planet uses makeup. Waking up, they go through their skincare routine before putting on lotion or makeup. I know that my routine consists of a complicated 10-step process. Wash, soap, lotion, foundation, concealer, blush, lipstick, lip gloss, mascara, and eye shadow. Then I go home, wash it off, and put on another thousand lotions until I repeat the process the next day. Everyone has a skincare routine (or should at least). But how much do you know about your products? At what cost does your glowing skin come? 

Many countries including India, Israel, and the European Union have now banned animal testing for cosmetic purposes. As you may have noticed, The United States is not on that list. Therefore your seemingly harmless makeup brands might be torture for innocent animals. Many popular brands including Aquaphor, Dior, and even, as much as it pains me to say, CeraVe, all test on animals. 

First, let's define animal testing. Obviously, there are harmless and humane ways to use animals as a resource for testing when necessary. But manufacturing companies take it to the extreme.  This article from Crulty-Free International describes the many tactics used including forcing the test subjects to “eat or inhale substances, or have them rubbed onto their skin or injected into their bodies.” Immediately after data has been collected, the animals are disposed of.

What pros could animal testing even hold? Why resort to these tactics? As you can imagine the cosmetics world is constantly expanding. Manufacturers are looking for the best ingredients and formulas to enhance the capabilities of their products. In the same way that vaccines are often tested on animals before moving on human subjects, and so are skin and hair care products. Many animals share similar genetic makeup to humans. Mice, for example, share 70% of their genetic makeup with humans, based on this UC San Diego study. Animals are the closest way of testing products on whole body systems. But there are alternatives. Unfortunately, these alternatives, are more expensive and take more time. Both of these are things that manufacturers are to selfish to waste.

When in urgent need of vaccines this practice may seem justifiable. But is it worth it for lipgloss?

Legalism, Confucianism, and Daoism were the three main philosophies in Ancient China. While they were founded in the fourth century BCE, we still see much relevance today. They can help give us insight into the world around us. We can look at these philosophies to help us understand how we can better our world.

Legalism was the most governmentally focused of these three philosophies. Using strict laws and bans, it took complete control over the residents of Ancient China. Strict laws like these could help stop this inhumane testing.

In China, animal testing is still required for any cosmetic product sold there. If companies want to sell to a larger range of people, they must use animal testing. Eliminating this law could allow companies to stop torturing animals while continuing to make the same profit.

Confucianism takes a more humanistic approach. This philosophy revolves around relationships and “that the natural order of the universe should be reflected in human relations” (Confucian Thought 1). From brothers, spouses, parents, rulers, and friends, you can learn how to be a better person. I would like to add another relationship. The one between countries.

In 2004, the EU banned animal testing for finished products. Four years later they included animal-tested ingredients in this ban as well. The primary purpose of making stricter bans was to “put more pressure on other parts of the world to end animal testing” says Kanter in this New York Times Article. If other countries begin to look towards each other, maybe we can put a stop to testing. 

The final philosophy is Daoism. Daoism revolves around following the natural force of the world. As much as it pains me to say, their philosophy also cherishes natural beauty. I believe they would advocate for not needing makeup to begin with. Especially if it was harming nature, another key principle.

Using these three philosophies we can find ways to stop the cruel act of animal testing for cosmetic purposes. We can ban it, learn from other countries, or not rely so heavily on products, to begin with. 

Despite the harm it does, we still test cosmetics on animals. How can we learn to stop this from Chinese Philosophies?