Biohazard | Teen Ink

Biohazard

By Sweetheart-Frog GOLD, Warsaw, Indiana
Sweetheart-Frog GOLD, Warsaw, Indiana

"We are stronger, together!"

Close your eyes, sink inside the limitless blackness of your thoughts. Feel the sharp jolt of chemicals firing and reactions sparking between neurons as blood and oxygen reach the temporal lobe. Sink into that glittering chemical spark, as if you could reach out and touch its chemical gemstones. Now focus on a single neuron, and imagine it being snuffed out, suddenly the sparks dissipate and linger only barely visible on its surface. This is pain, a psychological biohazard, now dimming the chemical composition of emotion and learning. As each neuron dims, and no longer fires, those strong glowing branches of a cerebral tree die and break off from each other, burning away psychological bridges that may never be rebuilt.  The feelings of neurological chemical warfare soon begin to show outwardly as the epicenter of human existence is tainted with dark mists. Dark bag under the eyes, bruised pale skin, soft tender and broken voices. Those obvious signs are often ignorantly unnoticed and left to fester, and like any other disease, begin to infect the rest of society. One. At. A. Time.

Poor mentally health is always a big concern in society, but with covid policies and quarentine, societys ability to maintain good strong mental health is diminishing. Depression is a mental biohazard that needs proper treatment.