Unconscious Bias in Media: the Need for Diversification | Teen Ink

Unconscious Bias in Media: the Need for Diversification

By Snigdha_J BRONZE, Forest Hill, Maryland
Snigdha_J BRONZE, Forest Hill, Maryland

Unconscious bias is an inevitable reality- as much as one might loathe to admit it, we all hold preconceived notions on certain concepts or groups of people that are largely unfounded. Unconscious bias isn’t formed from a place of animosity or mal intent, instead, it is automatic judgment the brain generates as a result of past experiences and background. Therein lies the untapped danger or unconscious bias: its existence cannot be undone and its products cannot be controlled. While these biases can be benign, others metastasize and result in the marginalization of certain communities. These negative effects are only compounded when unconscious biases are given a platform, for example in an increasingly subjective news media. This in of itself is not bad, the problem arises when these opinions are saturated with unconscious bias and the perspective of the marginalized community is suppressed. 

This phenomenon exemplifies why newsrooms and coverage must diversify: without the input and influence of those who have varied experiences as people of color, media will be biased and create a harmful ecosystem.

Representation in the media is even more critical in times of crisis, where people search for hope anywhere it can be found, i.e the news. Covid-19 has seen the death of roughly 60 local newsrooms and decreased newspaper profits by roughly 42%. Local news is critical because it provides the most pertinent public health information for that county, town, city, etc. This scarcity becomes even direr when those covering COVID-19 aren’t as diverse as their target audience. For example, 42% of African Americans say that they are not likely or not as likely to receive the COVID-1 vaccine. The root of this vaccine hesitancy is the racial bias present in the medical community and, more recently, how the negative connotation that that media has created around this “refusal” of vaccination. Simply put, people tend to trust those of their own ethnicity and/or nationality. Without reporters who can effectively connect and investigate with these communities and provide them with the reassurance needed, it is impossible for the stigmatization around vaccinations to truly dissipate.

The past year has been host to a national awakening, sparking from a renewed spotlight on the racial divide in an otherwise desensitized society. The deaths of Geroge Flloyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmad Arbery,  and countless others have evolved into a worldwide awareness campaign on systemic racism. This led to a 59% increase in political interest from the Black Americans. This trend will continue as America becomes more polarized, and as such news coverage must also follow that trend and keep those impacted informed. 

A problem of this grandeur is nuanced and therefore requires a nuanced solution. The key to combating unconscious bias is opening conversation. Letting people of color share their experiences with their colleagues, editors and audience is critical to reshaping preconceived prejudices. However, relying on a diverse newsroom to combat diversity on its own is setting them up for failure- support and guidance from management and editors are necessary. Until this change occurs, our current media landscape will remain divided and biased, and the public will remain dissatisfied and uninformed.

Works Cited

"Unconscious Bias". Vanderbilt University, 2021, vanderbilt.edu/diversity/unconscious-bias/#:~:text=Unconscious%20bias%20(or%20implicit%20bias,that%20is%20usually%20considered%20unfair.&text=In%20contrast%2C%20deliberate%20prejudices%20are,bias%20(or%20explicit%20bias). Accessed 20 Feb 2021.

"Amid National Reckoning, Americans Divided On Whether Increased Focus On Race Will Lead To Major Policy Change". Pew Research Center’S Social & Demographic Trends Project, 2021, pewresearch.org/social-trends/2020/10/06/amid-national-reckoning-americans-divided-on-whether-increased-focus-on-race-will-lead-to-major-policy-change/.

Abbady, Tal. "NPR Cookie Consent And Choices". Npr.Org, 2021, npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2017/05/01/492982066/the-modern-newsroom-is-stuck-behind-the-gender-and-color-line.

"Why On-Screen Representation Matters, According To These Teens". PBS Newshour, 2021, pbs.org/newshour/arts/why-on-screen-representation-matters-according-to-these-teens.

Hollywood Diversity. UCLA College, 2021, pp. 1-72, socialsciences.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/UCLA-Hollywood-Diversity-Report-2019-2-21-2019.pdf. Accessed 20 Feb 2021.

"COVID-19 Is Ravaging Local Newspapers, Making It Easier For Misinformation To Spread". Time, 2021, time.com/5932520/covid-19-local-news/

"Addressing COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy Among Black Americans". Consumer Reports, 2021, consumerreports.org/vaccination/addressing-covid-19-vaccine-hesitancy-among-black-americans/.

"Divided Media Landscape" and "Media Polarization" are phrases that are constantly thrown about and oftentimes only shallowly discussed. I wanted to understand different factors that contribute to these phenomena.