Is this who we want to be? (Depression/Body dysmorphia) | Teen Ink

Is this who we want to be? (Depression/Body dysmorphia)

April 8, 2020
By Ella_sanc13 BRONZE, Yucaipa, California
Ella_sanc13 BRONZE, Yucaipa, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Depression

It's not always crying in the middle of the night when your mom is sleeping trying to not wake her up…                                   It’s  not always feeling suicidal and wanting to die,

To me it feels like a never-ending black hole, days begin to blend together to the point, of where a whole week is gone in a matter of seconds, over-eating and then regretting it so you don't eat for days, looking at yourself in the mirror and seeing the skeleton of the person who you used to be, the once happy girl with sparkles in her eyes, and hope in her eyes, transformed to the depressed teenage women who doesn't know what love feels like because all her life when she got yelled at the reason behind it was “it because ‘I love you’” she doesn't feel loved and depends on other validation… too hard to understand a jumble of emotions, for not being able to be who she really is because she is scared of the judgment of others around her, and yet she smiles, that smile the fakest thing of all but nobody cares and she just puts up this act of being happy and smiling and laughing while deep inside she is broken, and not because of you or the people around her but because that is the way she thinks she is… but she doesn't see that she is a piece of artwork, her mind is gold and her heart pure emerald, her smile lights up the entire world, but she doesn’t see that she is blinded by the unnecessary imagines that society has shown her since she was little. Yes, society is the problem but we are that society, the one who pushed eating disorders on young girls making them believe that “skinny” is the only way to be seen as beautiful, this is a lie because we are all beautiful, and no we cannot be perfect because we are all different, we aren’t robots that are constructed to be flawless, and that is what makes us human…


The author's comments:

Hello, this is just what has been on my mind a lot recently, I just to help young girls to see that who they are trying to become by losing weight (in an unhealthy way) and thinking they aren't enough is not true because that is what we have made them see...