Why the United States Should Continue to Be A Part of the North Atlantic Treaty Origination | Teen Ink

Why the United States Should Continue to Be A Part of the North Atlantic Treaty Origination

By anjulina BRONZE, Arlington, Virginia
anjulina BRONZE, Arlington, Virginia

At the end of World War II, the threat of the expansion of communism posed a serious concern worldwide, especially towards democratic nations. This is why in 1949 a group of democratic countries led by the United States created and signed the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, a coalition of countries whose main goal was their own common defense, safeguarding democracy, and their liberties. It has been 70 years since this organization came into existence and while its main goal is not to counter the threat of communist expansion, it has been key in many conflicts ever since and still is today. The United States should stay in NATO because it provides the importance of security to nations, provides military alliances worldwide, and as well as political alliances.

President Trump suggested withdrawing from NATO last year when he said, “I’ll do my own thing” (The Wall Street Journal). The issue of defense spending is not only a domestic issue but also an international issue - one being in NATO. The Editorial Board from The New York Times said, “While his predecessors often pressed the allies to raise their budgets…”, President Trump is not the first one to call out the other countries regarding how little they are spending on defense. Elisabeth Braw, an adjunct fellow from the Center for European Policy Analysis, told CNN that, "Lots of American presidents and administrations have made that point and pleaded with allies to increase spending. They just did it more politely". The fact that the United States is spending double, maybe triple the amount compared to other countries is, in fact unfair. Though there has been agreement from the NATO allies to try and reach their 2% spending target, they want to achieve that goal in over a decade. “He pointed specifically to Germany as a wealthy nation that could boost spending now” (Nic Robertson and Angela Dewan, CNN), Germany is a country that spends, according to Destatis, an “Health expenditure in Germany exceeded the threshold of 1 billion euros per day for the first time in 2017”. Germany is an example of a wealthy nation that does not contribute close to the 2% threshold that they agreed to, instead Germany focuses the money on their own people in their own country. Niall McCarthy stated that, “...only five of them meeting the 2 percent goal: Estonia, Greece, Poland, the United Kingdom, and the United States…” (Forbes). Elisabeth Braw from the Center for European Policy Analysis said that, “...expecting defense spending at 2% of GDP is largely reasonable” (Nic Robertson and Angela Dewan, CNN). Though NATO has some things to work out with spending, there are things the United States benefits greatly from NATO and its allies. There is proof of the other countries spending more money, doing their best to at least reach the 2% threshold. The United States also gains the ability to have military installations in other countries which saves money from flying and can deploy to the higher threat countries quicker than from the United States if needed.

The importance of security to nations is vital for success and survival. According to the government of the Netherlands, “Security and legal order are essential conditions for sustainable development and self-reliance in countries lacking stability and security”. That could not be truer. NATO is an organization that provides security through the comfort of each countries promise to protect each other. The whole country does not need to be focused in on the idea of war, but rather on growing technology for the better, finding cures for illnesses and more. Each country is able to grow itself with the aim for more. The security of the people is ranked very high in each nations agenda. NATOs core values are collective defense, crisis management, and cooperative security. “In addition to its traditional role in the territorial defense of Allied nations, NATO leads the UN-mandated International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan and has ongoing missions in the Balkans and the Mediterranean…” (U.S Department of State). The countries in NATO are working together to form a joint task force to assist each other in missions. This joint task force provides a weight off a countries shoulders, because now they have help to secure what they need. “The document then describes the current security environment and identifies the capabilities and policies it will put into place to ensure that NATO’s defence and deterrence, as well as crisis management abilities, are sufficiently well equipped to face today’s threats” (NATO), this organization is well organized to protect each other. When things get serious, NATO has a basis of what to go off to keep everything smooth running. Every year NATO grows for the better and is able to react and assist to nations in need. The training exercises are just one example of the teamwork in NATO, the joint force exercises make sure that if needed, all nations are ready to help and they can all work together.

The alliance in NATO is absolutely tremendous, not only is it a military alliance but it is also a political alliance. “NATO is committed to the principle that an attack against one or several of its members is considered as an attack against all. This is the principle of collective defence, which is enshrined in Article 5 of the Washington Treaty” (NATO), this is similar to an all for one, one for all statement. Luckily, Article 5 has only been invoked once in response to the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the United States in 2001. NATO forms a bond that is transatlantic. “It provides a unique link between these two continents, enabling them to consult and cooperate in the field of defence and security, and conduct multinational crisis-management operations together” (NATO), no words could have said it better than what NATO said on their website. The United States has a pretty good track record in alliances. The United States also has NAFTA, which is the western hemispheres agreement; not to mention Canada has also apart of NATO since the beginning. The entirety of this organization is for allies near and far. Nations in NATO are also able to use the diplomacy route over military power. This has assisted NATO in continuing to be an everlasting partnership between countries.

The provided security, allies, and guarantee of the freedom and security of its members through political and military means are the reasons the United States should continue to stay in NATO. The nations involved with NATO are benefitted, that includes the United States. This is also a great partnership that benefits the United States, we receive security and a worldwide alliance. Our president rightfully questioned the current actions  NATO, but leaving is not the way to solve this issue. We have to stay in NATO, work through all the kinks, and watch the growth and support from the other countries.

Works Cited

Griffiths, Brent D., et al. “NATO Head: Trump 'Committed' to the Alliance.” POLITICO, POLITICO, 27 Jan. 2019.

McCarthy, Niall. “Defense Expenditures Of NATO Members Visualized [Infographic].” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 13 July 2018.

NATO. “Member Countries.” NATO.

NATO. “Secretary General in Washington: US Leadership Is Key for NATO.” NATO.

NATO. “Collective Defence - Article 5.” NATO.

“NATO / OTAN.” NATO.

“Navigation and Service.” Staat & Gesellschaft - Migration & Integration - Personen Mit Migrationshintergrund - Statistisches Bundesamt (Destatis).

Pop, Valentina, et al. “Trump Unsettles NATO Allies With Demands as He Backs Alliance.” The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones & Company, 12 July 2018.

“Security Important for Developing Countries' Economies.” Food | Government.nl, Ministerie Van Algemene Zaken, 22 May 2012.

U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of State.