Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

January 25, 2019
By cblissmer03 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
cblissmer03 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What’s your favorite type of literature to read? A rising genre right now is Dystopian. A dystopia is an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one. Dystopian stories are rising in popularity. But why is this? Gives reader different outlook on life.


A reason readers attract to Harrison Bergeron is because it can show them an alternate reality. “THE YEAR WAS 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They weren't only equal before God and the law. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else.” This shows how different Harrison Bergeron world is from ours because everybody is different in our world, but some people want everybody to be the same for equality, but this story shows how this is bad. “It was then that Diana Moon Glampers, the Handicapper General, came into the studio with a double-barreled ten-gauge shotgun. She fired twice, and the Emperor and the Empress were dead before they hit the floor.” In this world the leader of the country can just kill anybody without repercussions, in most countries in our world you can’t do that.


People like to read Ten with a Flag because they can see similarities between the world they live in and the universe in Ten with a Flag. This time though, he didn't even double check connection. The steering wheel folded and collapsed into the dash and he turned to face me. Just like our world technology controls them. “As such, the state raised both your rating to eight, effective immediately. Congratulations.”  Just like our world the government can control us. This appeals the reader because they can connect.


People like are attracted to The Veldt because it can show them what the future will look like. They walked down the hall of their HappyLife Home, which had cost them thirty thousand dollars with everything included. This house which clothed and fed and rocked them to sleep and played and sang and was good to them. Their approach was sensed by a hidden switch and the nursery light turned on when they came within ten feet of it. Similarly, behind them, in the halls, lights went on and off automatically as they left them behind. People read this because it shows them what the future might look like. The lions were on three sides of them in the yellow veldt grass. They walked quietly through the dry grass, making long, deep rolling sounds in their throats. The lions! Mr. Hadley looked at his wife and they turned and looked back at the beasts edging slowly forward, knees bent, tails in the air. Mr. and Mrs. Hadley screamed. And suddenly they realized why those other screams had sounded familiar. It got so advanced it ended up killing.


Dystopian literature is becoming more and more popular for the following reasons, it could show them what the future looks like, to see similarities in the two worlds, and It show them an alternate reality. If you want to read good Dystopian stories start with these.