Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

By kmccoy55 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
kmccoy55 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana

Have you ever wondered why you are so drawn into the idea of a world that isn’t perfect? Maybe, it’s because it gives you a chance to escape reality or it’s the idea of standing up for what you believe in even if it means breaking the rules. There are studies that show dystopian stories have become more popular over time because they appeal more to people around a teenage scale. Another, reason why dystopian stories have become more popular is because they show a risk of the future.

Dystopian literature has become even more popular because there is an act of rebellion. Ten with a Flag has an act of rebellion. Johnny in the story is rebelling by questioning the system. This quote is an example of Johnny questioning the system. “It’s just so confusing, Mr White,” I said smiling as wide as I could. “Aren’t flags usually reserved for children with...well, problems?” “Actually,” he said, “the flag is just an indication that the parents will have to make a sacrifice.” Johnny is talking to Mr. White who is a government official. Johnny is talking to Mr.White because he finds out that his child is a ten, there happens to be a minor problem that his child has a flag. Flags are reserved for children with problems or the fact they would never do anything to help the government.

Another thing, that seems to draw people in the most is the idea of a perfect world, a world without bad things happening, a day without bad days.The Veldt has a seemingly perfect world. While, reading this story it makes you wish that you could live in that world. “That sounds terrible! Would I have to tie my own shoes instead of letting the machine do it? And brush my own teeth and comb my hair and give myself a bath?” This quote is an example of how the children in this book have a world where they don’t have to do anything, due to machines doing everything for them. It soon comes to an end when they find out that their parents might shut off the machines.

The idea of a non perfect world intrigues people and makes them want to read more. Harrison Bergeron was a world that people tried to make perfect by making everyone equal. This quote is an example of the costs of trying to make everyone equal to create a perfect world. “Every twenty-seconds or so, the transmitter would send out some sharp noise to keep people like George from taking unfair advantage of their brains.” He can’t think for himself because the transmitter goes off every 20 seconds and scatters his thoughts. People have to go through awful things in Harrison Bergeron so they aren’t better than anyone or smarter than another.

Dystopian literature has become popular for many reasons based upon people’s interests. Whether you are into acts of rebellion because you find it cool or you want to escape the real world. For the reasons listed above is why I believe that dystopian literature is popular.