Co-Educational Schools Are Better Than Single-Sex Schools | Teen Ink

Co-Educational Schools Are Better Than Single-Sex Schools

December 9, 2015
By Anonymous

A little under a year ago I departed from my elementary and middle school friends, we were all stepping into a new shoe. Most of my friends chose to follow up into St. Gertrude’s and Benedictine, while I chose to follow my father and sisters and go to Trinity. Between these schools there are huge sports rivalries and a bunch of commotion as to which school gives a better education and prepares their students for a better future. Through experience and research, I have found that co-ed schools are more fitting for your child.


Both types of schools have their own social benefits along with their negatives. However, it is evidently of more social benefits to attend a co-education school then to attend a single sex school. Firstly, co-ed schools provide an environment for students to develop the interpersonal skills needed when they join in the labor force. It allows them to understand how men and women interact with each other. A national survey that was taken 2005-2006 displays that 79% of Canadian parents with children in co-ed schools see eye to eye that these schools better reflect the diversity of our society. These parents also believe that co-ed better prepares their children to enter the workforce (tfs.ca.com).


Secondly, it’s certain that boys and girls think in different ways and tend to disagree with each other. Being at a school with two different opinions on many things exposes kids to more in life. Schools serve best when they teach every student as an individual; teaching students by groups of boys and girls is inacceptable. According to tfs.ca, students attending co-ed schools are much more likely to discuss ideas from their homework with opposite-sex friends. This interaction results in exposure to a greater diversity of views and opinions as they share ideas with classmates of both sexes.


It has been argued that students would receive better grade results in single-sex classes among people that have similar learning styles. With that being true, the focus still needs to be on the overall development of a student. When they are out of college and have a job, it’s not going to be separated by gender. It is crucial for a student to be able to communicate comfortably with the opposite sex.


Another advantage of going to a co-ed school is the variety of choices each student has. Subjects offered at a co-ed school are much broader, while girls have the choice of more male-dominant subjects and vice-versa for the boys. Girls and boys also tend to feel competition between one another. In today’s society, everything is a competition. When girls are together it’s a constant battle of who has better clothes, hair, or who has the most friends. Once boys come into play, girls are less catty and turns into a competition to who can be the nicest. Having the opposite sex in your classroom will help you strive for a higher standard academically and for your self-image.


In the real word, men and women work together. Co Educational schools are the source to prepare you for that.


The author's comments:

After going to school with the same people for 10 years, some of us went to a co-ed school while others went to single-sex.