When their used to be school. | Teen Ink

When their used to be school.

By Mani2x SILVER, Chicago, Illinois
Mani2x SILVER, Chicago, Illinois

I was born an original, I'm not going to die a copy.

My Mom told me that once upon a time their used to be a such thing as school. School as in where you actually go and learn something. School has turned into a war zone, fashion show, and a prison.
Kids are being bullied because they can't afford the latest fashion. Girls are parading around in low cut shirts and skirts. When did school become a bedroom? Oral sex and actual sex being done in empty classrooms, stairwells, and lunchrooms.
We're being patted down when we come into the school.
"Take off your studded belt, your diamond earrings," they say, "Now walk through."
"Put your bag through the scanner. "
"Is that a water bottle I see? Throw it away, it might be bleach."
Fire alarms are being pulled in the middle of class. Weed is being smoked in the bathrooms. I'm safer in the street than at school. Windows are closed and nailed shut, so we wont get any ideas.
Teachers are just handing us worksheets. What happened to teaching? Teens are bringing guns, knives, and bombs. I'm more concerned about my safety than my education.
We are being set up for failure. No more after school activities because of budget cuts. Their are overcrowded classrooms. I'm beginning to forget what it felt like to learn.
But apparently once upon a time their was school, a place where you actually go and learn something.

I'm beginning to forget what it felt like to learn.

on Mar. 1 2012 at 5:34 am
kurtis.m.russell, Zama-shi, Other

But, man, you're never going to get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear; we lie like hell. We'll tell you that, uh, Kojak always gets the killer, or that nobody ever gets cancer at Archie Bunker's house, and no matter how much trouble the hero is in, don't worry, just look at your watch; at the end of the hour he's going to win. We'll tell you any shit you want to hear. We deal in *illusions*, man! None of it is true! But you people sit there, day after day, night after night, all ages, colors, creeds... We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here. You're beginning to think that the tube is reality, and that your own lives are unreal. You do whatever the tube tells you! You dress like the tube, you eat like the tube, you raise your children like the tube, you even *think* like the tube! This is mass madness, you maniacs! In God's name, you people are the real thing! *WE* are the illusion! So turn off your television sets. Turn them off now. Turn them off right now. Turn them off and leave them off! Turn them off right in the middle of the sentence I'm speaking to you now! TURN THEM OFF...

Are you using their incorrectly to further the idea that there isn't any learning going on?

on Mar. 1 2012 at 5:34 am
kurtis.m.russell, Zama-shi, Other