Bullying in School | Teen Ink

Bullying in School

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

This was originally an article I wrote for my school newsletter because I was sick of how much bullying was going on at my school. The newsletter just came out and so far nothing has changed; I really wish it would.

on Jun. 15 2017 at 8:55 am
I do bully cause im an evil maknae.hahahaha i love bullying but not doing some harsh things.its just the way i love people.

on Jun. 15 2017 at 8:55 am

smoggy143 said...
smoggy143,
THIS IS SICK

GirlGamer said...
on Jun. 7 2016 at 12:32 am
GirlGamer,
lol me to saaaaaame

GirlGamer said...
GirlGamer,
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbgggggggggggggggggggggg ji

GirlGamer said...
GirlGamer,
Its so stupid and i bully so many people everyday!!!!!!!!! i once made a person coment suicide! im proud of myself

this_latina said...
this_latina, Jackson , Mississippi
This is so relatable ..... people do need to quit bullying people, its rude and disrespectful.

As a published poetry and short story writer book entitled:
Emotions in Motion/To Rise Above.
Pen Name: Robert Louis Mir'beau
I can relate as I explicate and implement similar tone in my writing.

justmyexistentialthoughts GOLD, Cumberland, Rhode Island

"You can't make great stuff until you've made good stuff, you can't make good stuff until you make alright stuff, and you can't make alright stuff until you've made pretty bad stuff." - P.J. Liguori

If you related to or enjoyed this, please comment/like/rate as it really helps me out! :) Thanks for reading!

Great.! said...
Thanks David.. Cz it helped me to complete my homework.. :p

You are an amazing writer. I understand your work because I feel the same way, and it spoke to me. I am 16 and I am not beautiful...

diya gupta said...
on Jun. 26 2015 at 4:05 am
It's really helps me

sarah H. said...
This is great David! I'm in love with this<3

Thorn said...
I love bvb they are amazing
I love them all
They are my idols

trent said...
Your awesome

LeahLeah02 said...
We read this in class today and it's all over our school. It might not have changed anything at your school, but it had a great impact in mine! It's wonderful

Jenn said...
Be brave and stand up for yourself. Hold your head high and don't respond back to them directly. Someone will always listen, but it important that you make your voice heard by people who can do something about it. And, hang in there! It will get better.

Girl_In_Pink said...
That is not called bullying because the students are not of the same level as of their teachers, that is called "child abuse" Thank you :)

Jaylin928 said...
I loved the essay...if I was your teacher,this essay would have an 'A' no doubt about it.Spectacular job

teena96 said...
bullying is a big issue  in teenage life but people should break it down and never let anyone try to damage them physically and emotionaly . i have suggesstionss that inorder to break that shell you need to answer back , have self confidence and be strong