What Field Do You Want to Go Into?: The Answer | Teen Ink

What Field Do You Want to Go Into?: The Answer

By OhSnapple GOLD, Concord, New Hampshire
OhSnapple GOLD, Concord, New Hampshire

It is true that we only get one life. Why should I have to say “only”? Why must I say “only”?

To us, life is short. The truth is that it doesn’t have to feel that way. We live our lives thinking about the next day, the next year, or even years in the future. It’s almost as if our entire life is a giant preparation for the future. If all we do is prepare, then when will we get to experience this “future”?

We go through middle school to prepare for high school, and we go through high school to prepare for college. And in college, we prepare and map out what we are going to do for a job, which is going to occupy the majority of the rest of our lives. After college, the average person is around 22 years old, about one-fourth of their life finished, and what have they done? They have prepared.

So if this is how our society must function, then we should do what we want to do. It’s your life, you only get one, so why not make it the best it can be? Go to college and get a job that interests you, and makes you happy because it’s your life.

In high school, most people know what they like, what they are good at, and what interests them. So since you know what you love, the question is not “What field do I want to go into?”, rather, “Do I want to spend the rest of my life doing what I love, or do I want to spend everyday thinking about doing what I love?”.

A huge road block for high school and college students is their parent’s opinion, the pressure they feel to have money, or both, but it shouldn’t be. A fact stronger than that most of the money is in math and sciences is: If you are really good at something, then you will make money doing it. Also, if you’re not that good at something, then you won’t make money doing it. Nobody pays bad comedians.

That being said, bad comedians are always funny to laugh at, and maybe someday we’ll be laughing with them.

I don't think that I have ever been more right about anything else in my life.

AlexandraVasari PLATINUM, Fort Stewart, Georgia

"Writing songs is super intimate. It's a bit like getting naked"~ Gwen Stefani

hahaha wow you're very opinionated but in a good way, I feel the same :)

JeanGrey GOLD said...
JeanGrey GOLD, Mason City, Iowa

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."-Oscar Wilde

I agree completely! You have some awesome points and I love the bad comedian bit :)