Costs Kills Dreams | Teen Ink

Costs Kills Dreams

By nwahed BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
nwahed BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut

“Broke college student life hacks. Starving student recipes. Are you a college student looking for quick bucks? Look no further, for this 5 minute TikTok video will share all the life hacks that’ll ensure your stability in times of struggle!” 

It is too often that we hear of the “broke college student” which has become a norm for victims of the American school system–high school seniors. From the moment we step into colorblocked classrooms with alphabet-laden walls to the day we don our cap and gown, we are continuously preparing for the significant investment that is college.

Our current school system leaves college as the traditional next step to achieving your place in society after high school. But who is to account for the costs of becoming a civil servant? The college requirement for “success” goes beyond just any college, as well. I must compete with Ivy League graduates because I did not have the financial means for my state university–all in order to enter the working world with an entry-level job. I must endure the waves of excitement from my peers who are anticipating the college life they’ve envisioned–chasing their dreams, partying, making their way through the “real” world. I must lock my sketchbooks along with my passion in my jewelry box–since our society leaves no gateway for the arts to become a ‘legitimate’ career.  As the clock is soon to strike down, college commitments are due. Yet I find my eyes burning into the LED screen displaying my email for financial aid offers from schools–for that determines my future.   

It’s ironic that in order to gain stability in our working society, we must be well educated with a high paying occupation. The irony stems from the costs of these expectations, these necessities deemed to be the key to progression in life after high school. Does our current system not recognize the rising numbers in high school students not interested in attending college? These numbers don’t account for those seeking other post-secondary options, but rather teenagers concerned for the costs of their future. The reality that our country refuses to face is that not everyone’s parents have a handy savings account that’ll cover four years of tuition costs amounting to that of a next-gen Tesla. 

Students coming from low income families are expected to pay tuition exceeding up to 150% of their household income, according to the Institute of Higher Education Policy. Middle class families find themselves in an even worse predicament–too much money made to get sufficient government aid–and not enough to cover tuition costs. That leaves accessibility limited to a miniscule window of people, unrealistic at that. While these students immerse themselves in a lavish campus life or have their way paid into big name schools, the rest of us are left to embroil ourselves in crushing debt. It’s not like I have the wishes or academic background to get into an Ivy league, but the mere prerequisites these schools have contradict their ultimate goal. Who discerns which students are deserving of their spots, and which have the money to please the school? There is undeniably a great portion of students who have the capabilities deserving of the opportunity of attending an Ivy League–or just about any university they so wish to attend. It is too many of these students that are being denied these opportunities due to their financial background. 

So, the questions that race through my mind inevitably turn to are: is college worth giving up basic necessities? Is the life of the ‘broke college student’ one worthwhile? Is it the lifestyle I must succumb to, in order to make my place in society? The short answer is yes, of course. Given that meeting these expectations is deemed my duty, I must ensure that pursuing higher education remains my ultimate course of action upon graduation. Teachers, family, future employers alike are all in favor of this very decision. I must send my thoughts and prayers to future me who will face the financial repercussions of furthering my education.   

I hate capitalism