Who Am I? | Teen Ink

Who Am I?

August 2, 2022
By exuseetim GOLD, Boca Raton, Florida
exuseetim GOLD, Boca Raton, Florida
11 articles 4 photos 0 comments

In her article “How to Drop Out of College,” Rayne Fisher-Quann reminisces about the eve before being a college dropout. The sense of freedom swarming in her writing is so genuine that I believe in her case, dropping out of school is euphoric, romantic, and filled with ardor.

 

I’m happy for Fisher-Quann because she knows what she wants. However, I must admit that I don’t have the courage to do the same. Growing up in a traditional Asian family, I am told that every family member has certain responsibilities to fulfill. Mom and dad must work hard to earn money. I must be the first in my class, be admitted to an Ivy, win international prizes, get myself a big house or a decent wife - actually I’d better get both, and so on. And most importantly, I must never lose face for my family.

 

Fisher-Quann claims that her mother knows she will become a college dropout. It’s “doomed from the start.” I was horrified when I read that part. If I were her, how could I hide my college dropping from my family? Before I make that decision, surely I would think about staying for the sake of saving face for my family, so I would end up graduating. I can’t imagine how ashamed my parents would feel if I really drop out.

 

My life is like a sniffer dog hurrying on a trail paved with stepping-stones approved by my elders. The dog is trained to lead me to worldly approval. I probably will never become an expert in skipping college. I’m only familiar with working my way towards it.


The author's comments:

A self-reflection based on The New York Times article, "How to Drop Out of College" by Rayne Fisher-Quann.