Should We Have Dress Codes? | Teen Ink

Should We Have Dress Codes?

October 17, 2019
By Anonymous

Have you ever thought of how students feel about the dress code at their school? Well, it’s not always the best report. Some reasons that the dress code should change at LJHS is associated with shoulders, shorts, targeting, and mental health.  This is how dress code should change in Lebanon Junior High School. 

One reason why the dress code should change is with women's shoulders. At LJHS girls are not allowed to show their shoulders. Got any reasons why? Well, most people say “it can be distracting”. If someone is being distracted I personally think that it is their fault for not focusing on their own school work. Girls and women should be able to show their shoulders because it’s simply a body part everyone has. Why should females be punished for the way males look at their bodies? 

Something that should change at LJHS is the problem with shorts. Women with long arms, legs, and tursos can’t really apply to the “fingertip rule”. Everyone's body is different, some girls might have really short legs and short arms therefore they could wear really short shorts. Some people have really long legs and arms, therefore they have to wear really long shorts because it doesn’t apply to the “fingertip rule”. When it comes to shorts, companies to not make shorts that go to girls knees. 

Women at schools and LJHS, most likely are going to be more targeted than boys. Especially when women are a different ethnicity. The things in stores for women are violating the dress code, therefore women can’t really wear all of there clothes to school. It’s harder to find things for women in stores because most of the things that are selling these days are considered “not appropriate for school.'' A lot of people think that this is “a mans world”, meaning that no male is going to get in trouble for violating the dress code but it mostly has to do with how everyone approaches a woman's body.  Discrimination against certain body types always happen because of the way clothing is cut, how it appears on people differently, discrimination against gender fashion occurs because of popular trends that happens in women’s fashion, and there is no controlling it. Regardless of school policy and teacher's responsibility to enforce the dress code, many teachers decide for themselves leaving it to a personal opinion. 

One thing that interests me the most is mental health. For some people it’s an opportunity to embrace your individuality and reflect your personality through your style. “Style is a deeply personal expression of who you are, and everytime you dress, you are asserting a part of yourself” - Nina Garcia.  Students who don’t get to express their style, could potentially bottle up their feelings inside and that could be considered “unhealthy”. Posted by Art Teca, “Scientists have proven that when you practice self awareness, you can learn how your fashion choices can uplift your state of mind and spirit”. Most human beings need a way to express their feelings. ̈ ̈ To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment ̈ - Ralph Waldo Emerson. 

In conclusion, to the dress code at LJHS. I personally think that the dress code should be changed in all schools because it is very strict. If we just think for one minute and think about the reasons why we have a dress code, it’s most likely unnecessary. Do you think the dress code is unnecessary? 


The author's comments:

This piece is about how dress code should be changed.