Why Homework Should Be Banned | Teen Ink

Why Homework Should Be Banned

By dianarsalgado BRONZE, Morro Bay, California
dianarsalgado BRONZE, Morro Bay, California

Has a friend or even you ever had to pass on a activity or give up free time due to homework? Homework has been around for a very long time and since then it has been one of the top stresses in school for students, leaving them less time to spend free time.  Yes, homework can also have a good effect on students with tests according to Source F. Many have argued whether or not homework benefits students and if so, if it should be continued to be given out. In the end homework can have a good and bad benefit to it. While homework is still around it should not be given out as a daily routine and instead shrink it down to every other week or so.         

The affecting part of homework towards students can be stressful due to time. According to source E(Should Schools be Done with Homework), “Students have argued that too much homework can negatively affect them by increasing stress and sleep deprivation.” Pope, a researcher at Stanford University had also stated about homework simply not being assigned as a routine practice. Source F(The Positive and Negative effect of homework)  claims that homework can actually lead to cheating, either though the copying of assignments or help with homework that goes beyond tutoring. I myself have struggled with homework all the time. Mostly with not being able to go do my hobbies or spend time with my family. It takes away a lot of my free time and give me stress. At times I forget I have homework so last minute I ask a friend for help but usually they don’t do it either which causes me and other students in the class to get a bad grade. Source D(Stanford University Communications) argues that fifty six percent of the students considered homework a primary source of stress. Only one percent had said homework was not a stressor. Source D had students talking about homework load giving them sleep deprivations and other health problems. I myself have experienced some problems with sleeping because of homework stress but it wasn’t up to the point where I thought it was so bad. I had to disagree with this part of the Source because I do not believe homework can cause so much stress to a student.

If no homework were assigned in classes, the students would be able to focus more on the classwork lesson instead of thinking about the homework they will have to do after the lessons. Some students may not have even understood the lesson and they won’t want to ask for help so they suffer on the homework, leaving more stress for them.

Even if homework isn’t the best for students it does benefit them with their grades and tests. Although I agree with Source E up to a point, I cannot accept his conclusion that homework should still be assigned. In source E studies suggest that the link between assigned homework and academic achievement is drastically overinflated. Yes it will benefit the students learning of the lessons but it won’t help them when they decide to copy down the homework of a friend of when they are only doing the homework for good grades and not because they understand the concept of the lesson.  Source F is right that homework can improve students study skills and attitudes toward school and at the same time also teach students that learning can take place anywhere. So it’s good to be ready, but is wrong when they claim that it can improve their study skill because not for every student it will help.

In the end homework can have a good and bad benefit to it. While homework is still around it should not be given out as a daily routine and instead shrink it down to every other week or so. With no homework around, students will be able to focus more on the lesson and not being stressed out worrying about it later on. That way students will be able to spend more time with their families, friends and even have their own time to do any other activity or hobby they enjoy doing.