Should Teens Have a Part-Time Job? | Teen Ink

Should Teens Have a Part-Time Job?

By Mateo1514 GOLD, Asuncion, Other
Mateo1514 GOLD, Asuncion, Other

"Do as you please, learn how you want, but always write with your heart." (Mateo Conde)

The 20th century, something teenagers don’t know we are at; in what decade do we live? Laziness is a massive problem both adults and teenagers are facing today. Why don’t you go and get a job? Is it because you have everything you need? Well, get up, do something. As many as two-thirds of juniors and seniors hold a part-time paid job at McDonalds, and also thus producing fast food around the country. (Etzioni, 1986, par. 2) Yes, it’s rarely heard someone enjoys working at these fast food restaurants, but is it really worth it? You will become better organized, you will develop your financial skills, your communication skills with your customers, and it will help you do multi tasks within a small period of time if you get a job as a teenager.

It is often said that teenagers don’t have enough time, even without a job, but why? Is there a logical reason for this claim? Scheduling. You won’t get through high school, or college without scheduling your activities. You must have a clear idea of what you’re doing during the rest of the day when you are not at school. Working after school will be just another task added to your list. Of course, the time you have to spend working could be used to do something else, like exercise, or study; but again, if you’re well organized and you plan everything in detail, you’ll have enough time to do a little of everything.

Having a part-time job as a teenager will improve your financial development skills. You’ll have to use the money you earn wisely and even helping with any household expenses. You will have to know what’s really worth the price. You will have to take decisions that will depend on your future. Will you spend your money on video games? Or will you save it for college? These decisions are the ones that truly matter. By doing something constantly, you will get used to it, so it is in any fast food restaurant, while you’ve been doing something for a long time, you’re expected to do it better by time.

Suppose you’re working at Wendy’s (An American restaurant) and there’s a big line of people waiting for their hamburger, will you get nervous as if you were giving a speech to your class? Or will you remain calm and be professional? If you want to get through it, you will again, have to be professional. Step by step, you will learn how to talk to people, and do multiple tasks at the same time, by commonly talking to people, your speaking skills will develop more. Let’s think for a moment, what is the job of a person working at McDonalds? Making hamburgers, frying french fries, and sometimes even cleaning the floors. You’re only given a limited amount of time, you have to learn how to do things fast, and well, otherwise, you won’t be able to succeed.

In conclusion, having a part-time job while you’re a teenager, will be beneficial for you regarding different aspects like: having a better organized life, developing your financial skills, your communication skills with your customers, and doing multi tasks within a small period of time. These are the main reasons why I considered jobs for teenagers a good thing. You may think differently, but what you learn will always remain with you.

#JobsAreImportant #YouNeedToGetAJobAsATeen