Where Do You Fall? | Teen Ink

Where Do You Fall?

All students are taught at a young age to do our best in school, either by a parent or a teacher. Students in all regulars classes think that they’re not good enough because of how much praise all honor classes students get. While others are pressed to be in all honors and AP courses so that they make their mom proud. The difference between the two is that honors make all students want to pull their hair out with the number of things to do in such a little time. While, students in regulars classes, they get to have social lives, but still able to fit in their assignments. Honors and regulars curriculums are very different between the pace, the workload, and the type of questions asked on tests. Expectation level as an honors student versus a regulars student is drastically different. Regulars are viewed as the classes one can sleep in and still pass because a teacher will teach the same thing for three classes. The honors pace is much faster than regulars, and the workload is double the size of what regulars is assigned. Honors test and quizzes are much longer and have more critical thinking questions than regulars test and quizzes. In addition, almost every teacher on the first day of school after they have read what is expected of the students will include, “well this is an honors class.” The way classes are judged here at Mount Carmel is that regular classes are meant for the dumb and lazy, and honor classes are for the smart and valedictorian students. Most students who are in honors and are struggling will not drop out for the sake that they will be so bored in a regulars class.

The way to get rid of these titles and help more struggling kids out is to make a middle class. My proposal to better the learning of students at Mount Carmel is to make a “Mid” class. This class’s curriculum will be in the middle of honors and regular classes. This means that the pace will not be as slow as regulars, but not as fast as honors where you learn a new section every day. The workload will be not as hefty as honors, but a bit more advanced than regulars. The quizzes and test will still include those critical thinking questions, but also make sure you are able to finish that test or quiz in a reasonable time. As a whole, these classes will still be counted as an advanced course, which means that their GPA will jump higher than a regulars class. In honor classes, your GPA jumps two points for every “A” in an honors class. In “Mid” their GPA will rise one point for a mid-class. This will also help the kids who are struggling in honors have a more upbeat attitude instead of their GPA dropping from a two-point scale to a regular point scale.

Without a doubt, I believe a lot of kids who are struggling in honors classes will find this an easy way to still be challenged, but not bored. For those in regulars who feel as they can handle a faster pace, I think they will find a happy fit here as well. This will better students chances at achieving their future goals. “Mid” will tarnish the feeling that students have with feeling superior or inferior to their own peers. This class will help bring back the students self-confidence that they may have lost, either feeling dumb or having to stay in a stressful class to make Mom proud. There should be a middle class between honors and regulars so that students feel an equal amount of challenge and success.

This article is inspired by the ways most schools are run in the South. I wanted to make know my opinion about possibly opening up a new category in schools around the country because I believe it would help many students.