Dress Code | Teen Ink

Dress Code

April 16, 2019
By ashlynn0405 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
ashlynn0405 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It started on a day when I was wearing leggings with my jacket around my waist. It was a really good day until a school staff member came up to me. The staff member said ¨You arent aloud to wear your jacket around your waist to cover up your butt, you need to go get a new shirt to cover up your butt.¨ A girl should not have to change clothes because a guy gets ¨distracted¨ by a girl wearing leggings, it's not fair, this is why schools need to change the dress code.

There are a lot of dress code rules but most of the rules are mainly for girls. Girls can't wear shorts unless the shorts are longer than their fingertips. While its getting hotter outside girls start wearing shorts but with this rule, most girls cant wear shorts and have to put on a pair of pants while it's hot outside.

Girls also don't get to wear tank tops for athletics but the boys do. The girls have to wear grey shirts with black shorts. With the grey shirts that girls have to wear, you can see the sweat from the girls on the shirt. But with the boys you cant see their sweat at all because of the black tank top that they have to wear.

Kids/teens should be able to wear want they want but with reasonable dress code rules. Some might say that dress code keeps us from wearing clothing that is unreasonable to go to school in, but when the teachers/administrators say we can't wear a certain piece of clothing because its "distracting" other students, that the unfair and unreasonable thing.

Why should it matter what we wear? Clothes do not define who we are, they are a way to show our feelings and our personality. Just because we wear jeans with holes in them, or shirts that fall off the shoulder does not mean we will go and do inappropriate things, and that why the dress code needs to change and why schools need to make the dress code more fair for girls.  


The author's comments:

This peice is about why schools should change the dress code and how affects us kids/teens