The Problem with Creating Change in Our Education | Teen Ink

The Problem with Creating Change in Our Education

By maldonadoa549 BRONZE, Salisbury, North Carolina
maldonadoa549 BRONZE, Salisbury, North Carolina

Education is an issue that tends to get ignored by policymakers and elected officials. Although they base their campaign promises on issues regarding education, once in office most of their promises are forgotten. I have seen the lies of politicians first hand.

I am the vice-chairman of a student-led organization called the high school Student Improvement Team (SIT) at my school. The goal of the SIT, is to help future students enjoy an adequate learning environment that matches our outstanding academic performance. During my time on the team, I have met many new people. I have especially networked with people running for office. Most candidates I’ve met have mentioned education, yet little change has been made. The conditions of our current facility have made it difficult for the needs of students and staff because of the lack of resources. We students are constantly striving to do our best. We have even made district history by being the first school to achieve an A+NG school performance rank. Nonetheless, our learning environment does not reflect our achievements. We believe that we could accomplish so much more if we had a proper building. Currently, our classes are held in small trailers that are supposed to hold a little over 240 students. As you could imagine, the classrooms are overcrowded. Because the trailers are older, the ceiling leaks and the floors are cave in. These issues were brought to the attention of our board because of students.

Spreading awareness of these issues was no easy task. My team and I spent weeks of tireless nights drafting emails under increased tension each time that we met. I found myself contemplating whether the amount of effort I was putting in was worth it. The goal seemed very impossible to both teachers and students. Our goal seemed unrealistic, and I noticed the passion slowly diminishing within each member.

After numerous public speaking events, newspaper coverage, and community exposure, our voices were heard and change was made. We were able to meet with our district superintendent and to relay our concerns to our own principal, who carried our proposal to the college president. We were lucky to have experienced this. Several schools within our county operate in unsuitable conditions. Sadly, many students and teachers have accepted their reality and think change is impossible to create. School Boards and politicians should prevent these situations from happening; however, standing up and speaking out seems to be one way to ensure that they follow through with the promises that they make.