My Opinion on the Subject of Poetry | Teen Ink

My Opinion on the Subject of Poetry

November 13, 2018
By Asterion GOLD, Toronto, Ontario
Asterion GOLD, Toronto, Ontario
15 articles 3 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein


What do you feel you know about poetry?

I feel I know some techniques such as rhyming and word-complexity however I am very new to poetry as a subject and I still have much to learn. 


What do you most like about poetry — both reading and writing?

I like that poetry enables the writer to connect to his/her feelings and it can give deeper meanings or even funny comedic ballad-type poems. As a reader he/she can experience a range powerful deeper emotions and meanings in every poem and it’s not defined by what the writer writes but how the reader perceives the poem in his/her’s own way. 


What do you dislike about poetry — both reading and writing?

I dislike how poetry can sometimes be used in ways that can discriminate and create hate. Poetry can be used to create love and deep feelings including the negative ones. Throughout history there are examples where people were targets and they were discriminated because of poetry and other discriminating techniques. 


What would you like to learn about writing poetry? 

I would like to learn how to create beautiful deep poems without creating rhymes on each of the lines I write in a poems. I hope this will diversify my poetic understanding and help me to develop more skills in this subject. 


The author's comments:

I thought it would be a good idea to express my opinion on the subject of poetry. I don't know why but I guess writing something is still better than not writing something. (Idea: Share your opinion: Is writing something better than not writing something? - Give your asnwer in the comments section and write whatever you feel can relate or add to the subject.)