What Do You Care?! | Teen Ink

What Do You Care?!

By JoanieMarie7 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
JoanieMarie7 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

For people in America today, Americans use celebrities as justification for why they should do something or why they should not. Miley Cyrus is a prime example of the relative idealistic society seems to love so much. Starting out on Disney Channel just made Miley's transformation even more drastic. From the family friendly pop star to the trashy “anti-role model role model,” Miley Cyrus has certainly transformed her image. But why has she changed so much? And why do we care? Society cares so much about seeing the bad in people that it forgets the good.

Today, Miley Cyrus has managed to split society in two. Those who think she is a trashy pop star who stands for nothing but herself; and those who admire her for ability to promote the ideal of "you do you." I for one fall in the first category and believe that Miley influences society in a negative way, and in fact, should be the pinnacle of exactly how not to live your life.

The idea that Miley should be supported because she is "just being Miley" is utterly ridiculous. First, simply by accepting her behavior has a negative connotation toward both Miley and us as people. The acceptance of Cyrus is degrading to her as a person. It says, "yes, we know you're not going to do anything better with your life, so keep having fun." Instead we should expect more out of her, simply because we believe she can be more than a trashy celebrity who enjoys to stick her tongue out. What kind of people are we if we do not wish to see the best in people and allow/help them to achieve their best self?

The idea of relativism thrives on the basis that what is true for you may not be true for me. This supports the idea that there is no absolute truth. Therefore, I could logically say that the sky is purple and you could not disprove me because, I may truly believe that the sky is purple. Of course, the sky is not purple and no matter how vehemently I believe this truth, it is not true. The same goes with celebrities today. When celebrities act in ways that are unacceptable for all Americans, we do not reprimand their actions or disdain them, instead we choose to allow the media to focus on it for a time, and then we say simply, “they’re celebrities just doing celebrity things.”

This attitude toward others is outrageously self-centered. The reason that people today are partial toward the relativistic ideals is that people want to be able to do whatever they want. Also, Americans want to not have to care about eachother. Rather than desire the best for each fellow human, people care solely for themselves. And Miley Cyrus? We choose not to care for her well-being. Could it be that part of the reason Miley acts as she does is for attention. She is just trying to catch the attention of someone who will care about her.

We cannot, however, force Miley to change her ways, so what do we do? We must stop supporting the way she acts. “The attention grabbing stunts she seems to be pulling every day?” We do not let our attention be grabbed. “But if the media focuses on her I have no choice!” Yes! You do have a choice, you can choose not to buy that magazine or read that newspaper; if we all do that then we can send Miley a message. "We care about you more than as a source of entertainment for ourselves. You deserve a better life. We expect more than this. You deserve more than this.

Popular culture today is simply a reflection of Americans today. I believe that we have a responsibility toward not just today’s pop stars, but also toward every other person on Earth. We are here together to aid each other in our journey through this life. Selflessness has been put down as less important than money, success, and ourselves. However, I believe that kindness toward others is what makes us truly human. Rather than letting the media tell us all of the scandals and mistakes that celebrities have made, let’s encourage them to tell us the good things about not just celebrities, but everyday people too.  Instead of accepting Miley’s behavior, we should demand to hear about the good that she is doing. This will serve as an incentive for both famous and unfamous people alike to be compassionate and charitable toward others.